walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If it wasnae for ma wellies

Postby ArgyllGoSlow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 08/07/2017

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have driven past Ben Lui on lots of occasions on the way to meet up with my walking partner at Crianlarich. The top was mostly covered in cloud. We followed the Walk Highlands instructions for our adventure today.

The Burn
We decided to wear our wellies for the crossing and leave them at the other side for our return wade. We took a wee while to decide easiest crossing (short legs = short wellies)

The path through the forest
Initially the path was easy to follow, but muddy, so we decided to keep our wellies on until further up. When we turned up into the woods after the bridge we were making good time with no worries as the wellies kept our feet dry. When we got near to exiting the forest we found our route ahead to be squidgy deep mud and our feet quite deep in the mud on a number of occasions (I loved the squelchy sound as we pulled our boots out). We also avoided some parts by going through the trees which is always easier for me (an advantage of being shorter). The wellies were left behind to recover at the gate to the open hillside

Up the hill
We headed up the grassy (nearly pathless) route to Ben Lui. Took us ages and I cannot say my legs enjoyed it at all. The views to Ben Cruachan and through the Bealach did help though. We used my Garmin to tell us our elevation and help show how near we were (or not) to the top. Eventually got to the ridge and I enjoyed the wee bit of scrambling as we headed up towards the summit. Clouds had been rolling as we got near to the top and the wind had picked up. No clear views from the top (on an otherwise great weather day)

Headed down towards the Bealach and stopped for something to eat before heading up to Beinn a'Chleibh. We knew from using the Garmin that the climb should not be too bad. A wee bit later on the summit we were enjoying great views, sun, looking back to Ben Lui and we shared a Kitkat in celebration

Back to the Bealach and down the hill to the forest, put on our wellies and quickly found ourselves stuck in the mud again. Further down, I took a detour through the forest to give my tired legs a break. Back over the burn and home.

What was good about the day?
The company, the views, the weather, the plant life - tiny purple, yellow, pink and white flowers and the clover covering the ground in the forest, the wee frogs hopping about the hill. On the top of Beinn a'Chleibh just standing in the sun and appreciating our surroundings. On the way down the hill the view back to the Bealach with the 2 hills on either side was stunning.

What was bad about the day
Mud, mud and more mud

ArgyllGoSlow
Mountaineer

Munros:47   Corbetts:12
Grahams:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:14   

Re: If it wasnae for ma wellies

Postby ArgyllGoSlow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

RTC wrote:A concise but accurate report. It led me to find a YouTube version of Billy Connolly singing his classic ditty. I don't think I had heard it for over 40 years. [Where have all the years gone? At least I've still got my hair! :D ] It had me laughing all over again at lines such as ending up in "the hospuuuutal or the infirmuuuureeee." This led me to other classics such as "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." Strangely, my 21 year old son and 19 year old daughter didn't find them as funny as I did. Youth is wasted on youth.

Thanks for the memory.

We were singing it as we tackled the mud. Did give us a laugh as well as a challenge. Hopefully, going to see the Billy Connolly murals in Glasgow soon. We also discussed our next adventure - sitting having an afternoon tea somewhere. Your son and daughter must come round to the Welly Song soon enough
ArgyllGoSlow
Mountaineer

Munros:47   Corbetts:12
Grahams:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:14   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland