walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby iainR » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 08/07/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 973m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Joining me on this latest exploit was Big Jie, workmate and conspirator in many hillwalking adventures most of which are well spaced apart due to impending heavy rain. This time the weather looked favourable making the 2 hour drive to Glen Coe worthwhile.
We began the walk from a layby a short distance from the main access car park which despite arriving at 10:30am was full as was just about every car park in Glen Coe. It had been over 10 years since my last visit to the area and i'd forgot just how busy it can get during July.
Following the well constructed path up to the ridge was straightforward enough and more importantly, dry. On reaching the cairn at the col between the two Munros the overcast sky was gradually clearing though the wind was picking up.
Deciding to bag Stob Coire Raineach first we headed left at the cairn and soon picked up one of the various faint tracks which snaked up through the rocks. We soon reached the summit and took in the views of the neighbouring Glen Coe peaks with the Aonach Eagach being a highlight for me. After a spot of lunch and the slow descent down loose gravel we eventually reached the col again and set off up the far longer path to Stob Dubh which thankfully a large crowd of walkers had just come off.
Cairn beneath Stob Coire Raineach__.jpg
Cairn at the col with Stob Coire Raineach behind

Approaching summit of Stob Coire Raineach__.jpg
Approaching summit of Stob Coire Raineach

Aonach Eagach from Stob Coire Raineach__.jpg
Aonach Eagach from Stob Coire Raineach

Descending Stob Coire Raineach__.jpg
Descending Stob Coire Raineach

The Stob Dubh section of the ridge was much more interesting and despite having reservations about the final stretch to the summit once i began going up any apprehension soon disappeared and i found myself really enjoying it. With the skies getting more blue than grey the views from the summit of Stob Dubh were terrific with Glen Etive and the full length of the Etive Beag ridge the highlights here.

Approaching summit of Stob Dubh__.jpg
Approaching the summit of Stob Dubh

Down to Lairig Eilde__.jpg
Looking down to Lairig Eilde

Glen Etive__.jpg
Glen Etive from the summit of Stob Dubh

The Buachaille Etive Beag Ridge__.jpg
The Etive Beag ridge from Stob dubh

Retracing our steps back to the col was once again a slow and deliberate walk down loose gravel followed by the large stone steps down off the ridge which destroyed my knees with every jump but thats all part of the fun !
I really loved the Etive Beag and a return to Glen Coe is definitely going to happen sooner rather than later.
iainR
Walker

Munros:47   Corbetts:25
Grahams:23   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:18   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland