walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac on its own - summary

Carn Bhac on its own - summary

Postby scotdavid63 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Carn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: Carn Bhac

Date walked: 09/07/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17.6 km

Ascent: 671m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, had done Ben Iutharn Mor with a couple of others from Spittal in Glenshee and was looking for a short Sunday bash including our 10 year old daughter.
Usual drive up from Edinburgh to Braemar in 2hrs give or take. With two kids and two dogs an early start is impossible so we got going from Inverey car park just before 11am.

The first bit of the bike in is easy then it's a bash uphill from Auchelie, impossible to miss the turn off as there is a decent sized ruin there. grassy section then landrover track, bit of zigzag and quite steep but getting up Cairn non Seilach is totally straighforward and the landrover track continues for a while. We parked bikes at CnS rather than end of track as daughter was struggling with uphill and I was fed up pushing two bikes ....

The contour across to the bealach to the east of Carn Bhac is OK, peat hags and a bit boggy but it was dry (at this stage at least).
Forecast of "possible light shower" = monsoon when you get near the top ! From the bealach onwards was brutal, wind blowing rain into our faces, soaked before we summitted and its only 100m or so of ascent from the bealach ! Of course then the bog becomes wet and approach shoes sodden - I had also chosen shorts for the day. Water streaming down from hat under my specs so visibility was non existent. Thankfully this hill is so simple I did not have to resort to digging out the map and compass. OS Maps app helpful to ensure we found summit though !

The only saving grace of the day was the downhill bike out - dogs of course very happy as don't mind rain. Daughter reduced to pants in car, new idea of having flip flops for car excellent as feet recover fast :)

Oh, and when we got home the rain started in Edinburgh and kept going for another 24hrs or so. Some summer !

Do this hill when it's been dry and is dry is my advice. But then that generally applies :)
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:192   
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland