walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moidart Wild Camp - Two Magnificent Days in the Sun :)

Moidart Wild Camp - Two Magnificent Days in the Sun :)

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Route description: Castle Tioram and the Silver Walk circuit

Date walked: 12/07/2017

Time taken: 36 hours

Distance: 150 km

Ascent: 1000m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ardnamurchan, Moidart, & Ardgour are presently irresistible :) The Ardnamurchan peninsula is a land shaped by volcanic activity. The landscape is wild, rugged & austere, lending itself to a feeling of remoteness & unspoilt beauty. It boasts some of the most stunning beaches with silvery sands and turquoise beaches. Its mountains are rugged with views to the Western Isles and beyond. The scenery is diverse, from lochs, open moors and lush woodland.

I cycled here over 6 weeks ago then came back two weeks after to do some walking and a summit camp. This trip would combine both with a wild camp thrown in. My plan was to cycle 80 miles then find a nice spot to take in a sunset looking out to the Western Isles. An exploration day would follow this.

On Wednesday the 12th of July I left Glasgow at 7am. Instead of the usual hop over on the Corran Ferry I decided to drive around, via the road to Malliag, to Lochailort Train Station. My 80 miles cycle would start and end here. I would then find a spot to wild camp for the evening, in the hope of witnessing a lovely sunset :)

At 11am I began my cycle in glorious sunshine, an almighty grin stretched across my face. And those views...

Ben Nevis - An Alternative View.

The first half of the cycle was fantastic, quiet roads with uninterrupted views all around. I stooped at Strontian for some local sandwiches and juice. If cycling from Corran then Acharacle is better suited as at halfway. The last 40 miles were more strenuous due to undulations and steep hills.

Quick pit stop at Glenuig Bay - Views to Eigg & Rum

I arrived back at the station around 5pm and quickly changed into walking gear - shorts & t-shirt. I had spotted a possible camping pitch back at Glenuig so I jumped in the car and drove back down the coast 8 miles.

The potential spot did not disappoint and I quickly set up camp :)

I had 4 hours to kill till sunset so I stripped to my shorts, got out the beach towel, and sunbathed 8) . Incredibly there were no midges around, a surprise given how little the wind was blowing.

At around 10pm I got the camera ready for the sunset...it was rather nice :D

I watched the sunset for around 30 minutes, very content with my day so far. Being in the wilderness melts away any negativity or stresses from everyday normal life, it invigorates and re-energizes 8) I popped into my tent at 11pm and drifted to sleep with the soft cascading ripples of the waves nearby.

I woke at 4.30am, popping out in the hope of catching a sunrise. It wasn't to be, so a toilet break and back in my little tent. I woke at 6.30am, the clarity to the isles was pretty good.

My plan for today was to visit some beaches, a castle ruin, a coastal walk, & a woodland walk. I managed them all :D My first stop was a short drive around Glenuig to its small sandy beach. I met a couple from Brighton, literally just emerging from their tent. We chatted a while, I provided them with all the print outs I had from this site 8)

The Sandy Bay

Further up the road

Next it was to find the old ruin that is Castle Tioram which was built in the 13th century. It sits on a small rocky island and is only reached by a causeway when at low tide. Unfortunately the tide was high when I arrived.

View on the drive to Castle Tioram

The Castle

From near here is the silver walk. A walk that hugs the rugged shoreline around Loch Moidart. A spectacular linear route with rocky steps and vertical drops. Its absolutely a joy to walk. Luckily I had this to myself, stopping many times with my eye staring across the loch and surrounding wilderness.

Not having a car at the other end of the walk I merely retraced my steps. I met a woman on her bike, back near the castle. She informed me she was doing a tour of Scotland. her bike was fully laden with camping gear. Incredibly she had a broken foot, but this didn't deter her :shock: :clap: 8)

Feeling hungry I left and made my way to Acharacle for breakfast. There is a shop & small bakery here. I went into both. Cheese & Onion Pasty, Egg Roll, & Cheese Salad Roll. Sorted for the day ahead :)

Nearby, a drive of 2 miles, is Kentra & Ardtoe. It feels very remote down this single track road. To get here you drive through open moorlands which appears incongruent from the rugged wild landscapes from before. I spent over an hour here and had my lunch.

Next I made my way back down the west coast, parking up at ancient oak woodlands near Loch Sunart. Garbh Eilean would provide a viewing platform for otters, seals, and heron. An elevated boardwalk takes you to a wooded hide. Views out to Loch Sunart provide wildlife sightings.

There's also a woodland route which I decided to walk. The sun was still hot when peaking through the dramatic cloudline, still had to stick on the factor 50! I spotted a gap through the woodland which went down to the shoreline of Loch Sunart. I ventured down and spent some time here. Great spot for a camp I thought 8)

You can see the "hide" from here. Look far left :wink:

I had packed a lot into my two days so decided to head for home. The icing on the cake was witnessing a bird of prey ( I really couldn't tell what it was as driving) fly across me with what looked like a little mouse in its mouth! Incredible to witness this!

My mini adventure had now come to its end. But I shall return to this magnificent area of Scotland soon. There is so much I have still to discover, so much adventure,...I also want to do that cycle in reverse 8) :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Moidart Wild Camp - Two Magnificent Days in the Sun :)

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Cracking report. I can't believe you had this wonderful weather. I've been scanning the various weather runes with increasing impatience over the past 2 weeks, but Scotland always seemed to be in clag...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:40 am

Stunning area Dooters, great report :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:40 am

Certainly got your sunset. A different sort of report but a good one; got me transported and immersed into Moidart! The downside: now arrived back in Aberdeenshire.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 am

Somehow I seem to be missing all of this weather :? . Oh well, at least I can see it second hand :D .

Nice couple of days 8) . I intended to do a large amount of what you did when I cycled down to the Kinlochleven meet, but the weather was more normal, so I didn't really do any of it. Tempted to go back soon.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

Enjoyed your report, and what wonderful weather. Sunset was spectacular.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Ah you were in my country .... you should give me shout next time :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:14 am

Not a bad result I guess ( :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) but are you ever going to get off that road bike and back into the hills ? :wink: Good to hear from you - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

Wow. What a place to spend the night! I might just as well convince Kevin to drive all that distance from Beauly to visit this great area! Shame that Castle Tioram is closed, but I'd love to lurk around on that island!

It seems everyone is out wildcamping these days... Last summer was so cr*p, we bought a new light tent and never had a chance to use it... We had to wait till last week, but it was worth the wait :D W had a superb couple of days in the Fisherfields.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland