walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

INVERIE - DAY 1

INVERIE - DAY 1

Postby magicdin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:30 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 24/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

September weekend and two extra days off – and high pressure forecast to come in to the west highlands
A great opportunity to get over to Inverie to tackle some of the hills left on my “to do list(s)”
I had a bit of spare cash to hand – a win on my bet on the world cup and a nice wee cash prize recently at the bools.
Put it aside with this trip in mind – and used it to treat myself and book three nights B & B at Knoydart Lodge.

FRIDAY 24th SEPTEMBER
Friday morning, drove up from Dumbarton to Mallaig for the Bruce Watt ferry to Inverie.
The boat trip in itself was a great start to the weekend – always something about crossing water that makes you feel you are really going on holiday.
All aboard now
Leaving Mallaig Harbour
This must be the boat's naughty corner
Approaching the narrows
Nearing Inverie - Sgurr Coire Choinnichean above

I was met at the Inverie pier in by Morag in the Lodge Taxi and whisked all the way (well only a kilometre or so) to the lodge.
There I was treated to a cup of coffee and biscuits - a very warm and friendly welcome.
Got my gear into my comfortable room, got my rucsac packed, and waved goodbye at 11.45

MEALL BUIDHE

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was heading for Meall Buidhe by the track up Gleann Meadal and Mam Meadal
Starting off near to noon had me stepping it out a bit – a wee bit too fast to be honest – I really don’t like chasing the clock on the hill.
Quick enough round past the Brocket Monument and over to the foot of the glen.
It was quite warm in the shelter of the glen but I kept up a good pace until just before the Mam when I just had to stop for a drink.
This area is well known for established stalkers path – but I found the track to be very boggy in parts – don’t know if the drainage channels are cleared as much now.
Looking down Gleann Meadal
Carried on up to the Mam Meadal where I stopped again to study the line up to the ridge – looked a bit daunting – should have taken photo.
But I had climbed up this way before (12 years in fact) and that was under a covering of snow – so knew it was’nt too difficult.
It is just steep rough hillwalking – zig zagging up grassy ledges between rocky outcrops and the odd wee scramble if you like.On the way up heard the crack of a rifle shot somewhere over by Beinn Bhuidhe - stalking on Camusrory Estate no doubt.
Soon enough on the ridge of Sgurr Sgeithe with a short climb left to the south east top of Meall Buidhe.
Saw a lone figure dropping down from the top, I think heading towards the ridge out to Luinne Bheinn.
Beinn Aden and Loch Quoich
Ladhar Bheinn
The south east top - Sgurr na Ciche beyond - a distant Ben Nevis
A beautiful sunny day but the cold north east wind soon had me reaching for my jacket and cap.
On the top took a few photos and then wandered over to the the main top, getting there just after 3 pm, and settled down for a rest.
Looking down the ridge to Inverie
After a good sit down I started back down at 3.30 and headed down the west ridge – a really pleasant walk.
Back up to Meall Bhuidhe
I carried on down the ridge,disturbing a stag and his harem on the way,but rather than continue to the steep end, I cut down grassy slopes back into Gleann Meadal just up from the bridge at NM813988
Stopped to have a look into the Druim Bothy,looks fine,you have to pay of course, combination padlock on the door.
Druim Bothy
Just here among the trees I was plagued by deer keds – annoying creatures.
View back to the ridge
Knoydart Lodge is just round the corner from the bottom of the track past Torrie Shieling and I was back just after 6.15 pm.
Great just to get straight in for a shower and change.And of course along to the Old Forge for a few pints
(Atlas Brewery Three Sisters Ale) :D
Inverie Bay
Got chatting to one of the locals,Kenny,a onetime ghillie on the estate,who confirmed that the stalkers paths are not maintained as much.
Did’nt want too late a night so after three pints strolled back along to the lodge and an early turn in.
Last edited by magicdin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:23

Re: INVERIE - DAY 1

Postby mountainstar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:30 am

Ah Knoydart...brilliant, good to see again, even better I a'm planning a night in Inverie myself in a few weeks time from Strathan.
Good pictures by the way.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Grahams:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:218
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Great hill that. Can we look forward to a double compleation report very shortly? (your stats say otherwise, but I hope you're just teasing us :D :wink:)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Postby walk aboot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Great report, magicdin...reads like a proper holiday as well as an amble on the hills. Oh deer annoying? :shock: . Atlas ales 8) .

...8)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby walk aboot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Yup, just checked his Munros map, and he is teasing us malky_c, just waiting for the day 2 installment...
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland