walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craigenreoch and Haggis hill a very wet day

Craigenreoch and Haggis hill a very wet day

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craigenreoch

Date walked: 09/07/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.27 km

Ascent: 484m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was good to get back out with the ARC once again but what a weather difference from warmth of the last outing. Last night I was sitting in the back garden, sun lotion on with a cheeky beer. Not today, totally different, a grey and wet day forecast.
Climbing Rowantree.JPG

The start on Rowantree hill
Still the group were doing a circular walk encompassing quite a few hills including the Marilyin, Craigenreoch (565m), along with its outlying hills Rowantree and the quaintly named Haggis hill. Sadly not many quality photos as normal as the conditions were just too wet.
From Ayr we drove past Straiton southwards on the Glentrool road until we reached the Bell memorial, then a sharp right leads you onto a single track road for about half a mile and a parking area on the left has space for 4 or 5 cars.
The rain had already started so wet gear on. Immediately into the walk and a stiff pull gets the heart and lungs going but it is not too long before the top of Rowantree hill is reached.
Craigenreoch ahead.JPG

Craigenreoch trig ahead
From the top and in the distance the trig point of Craigenreoch can be seen in the gloom. It is an easy and straightforward approach, but very wet underfoot walk. The record rain over the last has been well held in this mossy moorland although it is probably never fully dry underfoot.
Craigenreoch trig.JPG

As we reach the trig the rain and clouds ease briefly to let us see on our left the Solway glistening in the distance. On our right can be seen the ridge, including the small trig on Haggis hill, that we will be returning via and directly ahead the trees that will be our turning point.
The very brief weather interlude ends and we continue by following the helpful fence as well as the shepherds quad bike trail. Everyone is sopping wet by this time but the banter is good.
Typical terrain.JPG

Typical terrain
On the route we topped Polmaddie, Pinbreck & Changue hills but I was not getting my map out to check as we walked. A short up and down from Changue and we reached the single stone trig of Haggis hill. In some ways the single stone seems more authentic than the piles commonly seen.
Haggis hill trig.jpg

Haggis hill trig
The weather has eased and we start to get views again particularly good looking down to the meandering Balloch burn. A big puddle is in view, Loch Bradan I think. I did check later and apparently the hill was named because it looked like a haggis!! Not in my eyes but a good name nevertheless.
Balloch burn.jpg

Balloch burn
A very steep descent on the wet grassy slope keeps everybody concentrated and after fording the fast running Balloch burn, some more even wetter feet, but at least it was lunchtime. Very pleasant break it was beside the noisy running water. If you walked back up the glen you would reach the ‘Linn of the Darkness’ waterfall, what names!
Haggis hill.jpg

Looking back to Haggis hill
A short squelchy moor walk followed and a then short but sharp climb brought us to the road that we left our cars on. This road is on the pass of fabulously named ‘ Nick of the Balloch, a historic smugglers path. You could follow the burn up to the waterfall at the Witches Bridge, then follow another quad bike track instead of taking the road.
Final leg.jpg

Final stretch
Back to the cars and the inevitable comparisons about which brand of wet gear performed and which didn’t. My newish Jack Wolfskin should have performed but I was wet on the chest. It is possible that I did not have the zip fully engaged so will try again but still disappointing.
All in all a shortish and straightforward days walk. Good company but crap weather. I will need to return on a better day to fully enjoy the landscape.
Ascent 1588 feet, distance 6.38 miles and 4 hours including stops.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland