walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thallas a bhos a' Mhorbhairne ... Out n about in Morvern

Thallas a bhos a' Mhorbhairne ... Out n about in Morvern

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Sleaghach

Date walked: 16/07/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A'Mhorbhairne or Morvern is a much overlooked corner of the Highlands and the area is largely ignored by hillwalkers in pursuit of more lofty mountains there being no Munro's or Corbett's to tick off on the journey. There is however a profusion of sub 2000's to be explored ,remote and which afford grand views being largely situated on the near coast.

It is a hidden and very quiet area which is largely devoid of people due to "an fuadach nan Ghàidheal" .The district is rich in history and at one time was the epi-center of the Gàidhealtachd politics and power.

In or around 1113 Somhairle MhicGillebride was born to Gillebride MhicGilleadaman in Morvern . Although the records do not record exactly where in the sea-gap he was born, history does record that the Somerled or the "Summer Warrior" would expel the Lochlannach (Norsemen) from much of the Gàidhealtachd and become Ri Innse Gall or the 1st Lord of the Isles.

One tradition has this famous warrior born at Ceann Loch a' Linnhe or Kinlochaline where the route for this walk begins.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An Sleaghach was the target and this sub2000 sits way out on the edge of Morvern above Eilean Lios Mor (lismore) and the Linnhe Seileach (Loch Linnhe).I have been out here many times but for some reason never climbed the hill always saving her for another day !

We started at Achranaich on Ardtornish Estate where a new hydro track keeps the feet dry for much of the route to Loch Tearnait . I have connections here and was able to take the car a wee bit further than would usually be permitted ;)

IMG_9934 (2).JPG
Achrainich rathad

It is a straightforward and pleasant stroll past the newly created loch at Luib an arbhair where land that once grew corn is now drowned to provide power for the hydro scheme.

A few kilometers of easy walking brings you to Loch Tearnait and the Leac Raneach bothy situated on the shores.

IMG_9935 (2).JPG
Bothan Leac Raneach

The bothy carries the usual tales of "hauntings" that these quiet places create usually by those who spend a night in unaccustomed quietness. That said i have heard good tales from older folk in the District about Leac Raneach bothy that would make the hairs on your neck stand up, believable supernatural occurrences linked to previous well known and reliable occupants. These involved shepherds who used the bothy reporting the outside door opening on a dark Autumn night with the subsequent hearing of footfall in the room, growling sheep dogs and on investigation no one else but the occupants inside. The incidents are linked to a drowning in Loch Tearnait back in time when the area was populated and worked by the Gàidheal prior to our ethnic cleansing.

Once Loch Tearnait is reached you link onto the old track under Guala an Tuir which leads over to Eagnaig on the coast. It is a wet and boggy affair with hags ,burns ,fords and rocky craggy moorland to negotiate and at around the 240m mark strike of for an obvious burn Allt Dubh Dhoire Thèarnait. Here a craggy we jumble of rocky Tòrran leads you up onto the moonscape heights of Meall a ' Chaorainn the neighbour summit to An Sleaghach.

IMG_9937 (2).JPG
Loch Tèarnait

Here you can get your first sighting of the Linnhe Seileach and Eilean Lìos Mor. In the Gàidhlig world we split Loch Linnhe in two at the Corran narrows. The Loch above that point is known traditionally as An Linnhe dubh (the deep dark pool ) below that An Linnhe Seileach (the salty pool).

IMG_9938 (3).JPG
An Linnhe Seileach

There is a wee sprackly hollow between this summit and An Sleaghach called Lagan a' bhuic (hollow of the buck or perhaps billy goat). From here the target can be seen quite well...

IMG_9939 (2).JPG
An Sleaghach

Its a rocky wee hill and an enjoyable scrabble up to the summit which gives you extensive views out over the Linnhe Seileach

IMG_9943 (2).JPG
An Càrn (Tuath)

IMG_9944 (2).JPG
An Càrn a ribhist

You find a trig point as well ,not sure which is the highest mind ! ...

IMG_9945 (2).JPG
Trig

We spent a good hour on the summit which affords extensive views to the islands and inland . The weather was a bit grey but still a grand viewpoint and not difficult to believe this would have been a prominent warning hill in the days of Ri Innse Gall and the Lochlannach .

IMG_9946 (2).JPG
Muile agus Dun da Gaoith

IMG_9948.JPG
An tir

IMG_9951 (2).JPG
An cù

From the summit we then headed West toward Glas Bheinn via An Dunan over the haggy , peat moor of the Garbh Slios, the rough side it is with much maneuvering through bog and Glac

IMG_9953 (2).JPG
An Garbh Slios

An Dunan is a remarkable rocky tòrr that hanging over Srath Shuardail and is compose of basalt rock which leads out under the summit of Glas Bheinn , another fine viewpoint on a clear day.

IMG_9953.JPG
Glas Bheinn creagan

IMG_9954 (2).JPG
An Dùnan

We reached Glas Bheinn summit and with weather starting to move did not linger to long

IMG_9955 (2).JPG
Glas Bheinn

IMG_9956.JPG
A' Mhorbhairne

It was then down onto the wet Bealach a Goirtean Dheirg to another new hydro track which follows the Allt na Socach over Monadh nan Còrr and back to the days starting point at Lochan Lùb nan Arbhair .

We can recommend the Morvern hills to anyone but beware they can be hard going , wet and tough. There is a palpable sense of sadness in this district with the remains of past lives all to evident, even deep in the interior but the views from the coast are grand . It is worth the effort if you get the chance.

Cheerie a nis
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Thallas a bhos a' Mhorbhairne ... Out n about in Morver

Postby malky_c » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Nice to have this in your backyard :D . I fancy a camp on the top of this one, and perhaps an approach along the coast from Lochaline. The location on the corner of the Sound of Mull has always interested me. Didn't even know about the basalt on these hills - makes them look like Macleod's Tables.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Another fine example of small hills with big views :clap: :clap: Looks like a cracking area :D :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Great area you live in. One of my favourite parts of Scotland. The drive once you come off the Corran Ferry along Loch Linnhe and Loch Sunart is fantastic, as good if not better than anything on the NC500. Heard about the ferry accident hope they get it fixed soon, though I also like the drive the long way round via Lochailort. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 am

Great report of what looks like a special part of the Highlands. The descriptions and the history made for a fascinating tale, and had me reaching for both the map, and Google Translate (which sort of works for the Gaelic)!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice to have this in your backyard :D . I fancy a camp on the top of this one, and perhaps an approach along the coast from Lochaline. The location on the corner of the Sound of Mull has always interested me. Didn't even know about the basalt on these hills - makes them look like Macleod's Tables.

Aye nice n quiet backyard. Been out n about exploring routes around here the last while. Plenty variety Moidart , Sunart Ardgour and Morvern. I have walked along the coast and cliffs from Lochaline ,good wee courtesy bothy in the bay at Inniemore and loads of camping spots to be had along the coast but rough walking. Coast circuit from Lochaline to Corran possible also numerous ROWs over hills ....

Aye i fancied a winter summit camp of her although the ground very rocky and not an lot of pitch to be had. The flat areas are pretty wet but im sure there would be a neuk somewhere in the vicinity.
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Oh so jealous - had a wander round Lismore a couple of months ago, and the 'other side' looked affy tempting - even with that quarry.. :shock:
I love your stories too - the more I learn about the history and folklore of this country, the more I seemingly have to learn..
I thought Olaf the red was king of the isles before Somerled (Olaf's dad of a similar name was king of Dublin and the isles).. The MacIntyre story tells of a plot between Somerled and his nephew to get the hand of Olafs daughter (and therefore eventually the king of the isles title) but maybe I'm going potty in my old age :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am

Informative as ever - does look a good area to explore with some nice views. :thumbup: Have been debating possible routes for the hills in your area but am holding off for good weather (so may be some time yet :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kiltedbiggles » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:11 am

Fantastic report with great pics...I reckon I'll be following your route when it comes to doing this :clap:
kiltedbiggles
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:185
Fionas:110   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:204   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:23   Islands:42
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland