walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

INVERIE - DAY 3 +

INVERIE - DAY 3 +

Postby magicdin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Route description: Beinn na Caillich, from Inverie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich

Date walked: 26/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SUNDAY 26th SEPTEMBER

BEINN NA CAILLICH

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My aim this weekend was to climb the three hills nearest to Inverie that I had to do in this area.
The Corbett Beinn na Caillich was the last one on this list.
Could afford a later start so breakfast was after 8 am – great cooked breakfast.
One party of four (who had done Luinne Bheinn,Meall Bhuidhe the day before) were going for a cycle before heading home.
Another couple were heading for Ladhar Bheinn.
First to finish breakfast – made my excuses – got ready and away at 8.40.
A really wonderful clear morning – and this time back through Inverie for the track back over to Folach.
Inverie Bay
Took it nice and easy but still got over quickly enough to the junction of three waters.
The Abhainn Bheag and the Allt Coire Torr an Asgaill meet to become the Abhainn Inbhir Ghuiserein-great names eh ?Image
Ladhar Bheinn and An Diollaid
Crossed easily to the stalkers path on the east side of the Abhainn Bheag – this soon takes you up to a gate through the deer fence.
I had considered once past the gate to head directly up towards the ridge of Beinn na Caillich
East slopes of Beinn na Caillich
But on finding that this was an excellent path I decided to carry on up to the Mam Li.
In 1998 I had tried to climb this hill by this route – but a day of torrential rain had beaten me.
The rivers and burns were impassable that day – went as far as the Allt Coire Each but had to turn around.
The Abhainn Bheag was'nt a "Wee River" that day.
The weather today was terrific – warm and really clear.
This path was in a lot better condition than those of the previous two days – maybe due to less foot traffic.
Coire Each

Carried on up past Coire Each and stopped just short of Mam Li for a break
Then across to the foot of the rocky east ridge of the hill
Looking up the ridge
And soon up onto the flattish summit ridge – at 12.30.
Again great views – this was the clearest of the three days – and I could afford a long rest at the top
Mam Li and Arnisdale
Beinn na Caillich cairn

Wandered out from the cairn for uninterrupted views over to Skye.
Skye

Went down along the broad grassy ridge heading south west until I could see a way down back to the Abhainn Bheag.
An easy descent over grass , sometimes heather and broken rock – I was glad however that I had’nt gone up this way.
Looking to Mam Li
Back in Inverie for 3.30 and sat outside the Old Forge for a couple of hours – another beer on offer today – Orkney Brewery Raven Ale. :D
Inverie may be a wee place – but there is always something happening
Boats arriving/leaving the pier – walkers coming back from the hill – cyclists – all ready to pass the time of day.
Sat chatting to Kenny (the ghillie) again – told me about when they used to the ponies for the stalking.
The ponies once loaded with the deer carcass knew they would’nt get rid of their load until they were off the hill.
So they would set of at a canter leaving the ghillies to try and keep up – a kind of wacky races.

Went back along later on for something to eat and a couple of pints
But the afternoon session told on me – another early night – I must be getting old :(

MONDAY 27th SEPTEMBER

Mallaig Kippers for breakfast – very strong smoky flavour – but fine.
I was heading back out on the eleven o’clock boat – so as it was early enough I had time to take a stroll.
Morag said to leave the bags and she would bring them along in the “taxi”
Wandered along through Inverie and round the bay as far as Scottas House and back.
A really beautiful morning.
Visitor to the patio at the lodge
Shaggy Isle
Closer

Memorial and Village Hall
Close Up
Plaque
Stalking Info
SAM_2397.JPG

Old Forge
Inverie Bay
SAM_2407.JPG

Water Taxi arrives
Last look back

The ferry was very busy of course – plenty of weekenders heading home.
Had thought of a game of golf at Traigh but it started to cloud over and turned a bit raw.
Settled just to drive down the road, hopefully to miss the worst of the holiday weekend traffic down Loch Lomond side.
Did have a stop for a pint at the Glenfinnan House Hotel – The Standard Ale :D

My “bagging” mission for the weekend accomplished – the three hills to the west of Knoydart climbed
Down to a final target now – a kind of single/double day
I will be watching the weather forecasts closely over the next few weekends :think:

A great weekend - many thanks to Morag and Bob at the Knoydart Lodge :thumbup:
Inverie is a unique place - well worth a visit if you have never been
Last edited by magicdin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: INVERIE - DAY 3 +

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Brilliant. Still not done that one, and it looks like a great viewpoint. In fact I've noticed this one missing from many a Corbett bagger's log :lol:

Oh well, I was wrong then. I assumed you were going in for a final session to do all of them. Good luck getting good weather this side of christmas for the compleation! I suppose you'll be getting Billy's 'Arnisdale Ferry' to Barisdale for that? Hopefully you get a trip that looks like this:

malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby magicdin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes - Billy the Boat to Barrisdale sometime soon I hope - I wanted to get down to a single "target" day
Kind of made up my mind on the Luinne Bheinn/Sgurr a'Choire-bheithe pairing when the latter remained as a Corbett.
I can be patient with the weather - it is my priority - don't want to compleat in foul conditions.
magicdin
Rambler

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Just a great trio of reports there Magicdin. Wonderful photos and some enjoyable descriptions of non-walking fun as well. Great to get a feel of the whole area, rather than "just" the hills 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kinley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Fab set of TR's - hope the weather's like that in June - got all sorts of plans 8) :D

Stunning set of photos too 8)

Luinne Bheinn and Choire Bheithe? Cracking combo 8) :D

Cheers :D
kinley

Postby magicdin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for the comments - it was a terrific weekend - lucky with the weather again as I have been all this year
Worth waiting for good conditions
Looking forward to the "final" pairing - not too long a day from Barrisdale
Determined it will also be when weather is set fair
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountainstar » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

Good report.....and beer.....from another real ale fan :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:40 am

Enjoyed your reports.
Did the three Inverie Corbetts earlier this month. Good to see them again.
Good final combo ahead.
foggieclimber

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland