walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet...Wet...Wet......(Windy too!)

Wet...Wet...Wet......(Windy too!)

Postby woodblock79 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Date walked: 29/09/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought i'd try and sneak in a midweek walk up Mayar and Driesh.....forecast was garbage all week but thought i'd have a crack at an area i hadnt walked in before.... :D

Road into Glen Doll was flooded en route and car park was deserted - apart from the ranger who was really informative and untroubled by the incessant rain! Loads of forestry work going on so diversions in place through lower part of walk and deer and grouse stalking going on - hillphones website was down....

Corrie basin was flooded and path was underwater - had to go across some of the glacial mounds under the side of the corrie to get through to the waterfall which was amazing to look at as water level was so high....

Cloud was low and wind was buffeting so climb up corrie side was a slog - reached Mayar but decided to just drop down to col and pick up the path leaving Driesh for another day which hurt my pride but meant the car was less likely to have been washed away!

No views so no photos im afraid although i get the impression that the Corrie Fee would be stunning on a good day! Glad i went out even though rain was RIDICULOUS! :D
Last edited by woodblock79 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Re: Wet...Wet...Wet......(Windy too!)

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:20 pm

You did the right thing Woodblock. You listened to your gut and left. I live not far from here and the weather was horrendous all day :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby woodblock79 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks! shame to miss out on Driesh but will be back somepoint soon to try and get up a few of the peaks in the area - though Corrie Fee was great, even in bad weather - guess its stunning on a good day!
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 am

Aye - check out Corrie Fee on a good day - worth the drive for itself.

Sounds like an interesting day :lol:
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland