walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lyon Bike 'n' hike

Loch Lyon Bike 'n' hike

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 18/07/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1564m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Distance - about 10 miles each on bike and shanks
Ascent - 275 on bike and about 1300m on foot

So I had a couple of days off and Dad had indicated he would be free for a jolly. Only a few munros left for him and I want to be with him for them all :lol:
Unfortunately I left my phone in a tea room in Kelso, and by the time I had got it back, there was little time for planning, but 2 hills were on the cards - Mhanach and Chreachan. We talked about camping in Glen Cailleach, but the weather forecast looked like it would turn and knowing the reputation of the rivers in the area of swelling up fast, we changed to a day trip in the end, staying in the van near the Dam in Glen Lyon.
Of course those who read my posts regularly will know that I am something of an anti-biker. Not that I have anything against those that do, its just that if I take part in any activity faster than walking I seem to injure myself - badly. :? In this case I knew that Dad would hate the 5 miles each way along the track and the supportive thing to do would be to get him to take two bikes :roll:

So Tuesday morning came and looked like a scorcher - not good for us, we melt as soon as the temp is in double figures :? We had some faff to begin with - Dad had brought bikes, but not the means of adjusting the saddle for me, so we tried first a lederman tool, before I found some allan keys in my boot which did the job - phew - I could hardly touch the pedals otherwise, and would definitely of done myself a mischief :lol:

Loch Lyon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So we set out, and I was pushing after just a couple of hundred yards - boy does the track go high above the dam, but once I was at the top there was a long descent (taken very gingerly) and managed to get all the way down the loch only having to get off and push a couple of times :D Boy was I feeling jammy - I can go a bike I thought :D
We stopped for a rest in Glen Meurain by the ford. River levels were far lower than they had been on a previous visit, but the clegs more vivacious :?

ImageDSCN3036 by Seana Carroll

We carried on for a bit till we got to Tigh Nam Bodach. It was lovely to visit this very special place once again, but again we were chased off by the dreaded clegs..

ImageDSCN3038 by Seana Carroll

It was finally time to ditch the bikes, which I wasn't displeased about, my bum was killing me and my thighs were like lead after just 5 miles :lol: They recovered quickly when I got back to what I was used to. The river was no bother to cross then it was up the squelchy hillside. On such a sunny day I had hoped things would be a little less squelchy but no.. :roll:

ImageDSCN3042 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3044 by Seana Carroll

The going wasn't too bad - its actually a decent route up this hill. I had intended doing the full traverse the fist time I climbed it, but river levels had made it impossible so I suppose it depends on conditions.

ImageDSCN3045 by Seana Carroll

The views opened up and what a viewpoint it is! Absolutely wonderfull playing 'spot the hill' with my dad.. Still can't beat him though :crazy: Dad spotted an eagle on the ridge, but I was too blind and slow to see it :(

ImageDSCN3046 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3047 by Seana Carroll

We reached the top before 11AM to find it pretty windy, but we still stopped for a sarnie - enjoying the coolness and the views. It looked a looooong way to Chreachan :?

ImageDSCN3048 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3049 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3050 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3051 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3052 by Seana Carroll

Nothing to do but set off and see how we did. It was an easy but boggy descent to the bealach where we were once again plagued by clegs :roll: Nothing for it but to hurry up. :? Dad told me stories of clegs twice the size with evil green eyes he had once encountered and I felt glad we only had the normal sort to contend with!

ImageDSCN3053 by Seana Carroll

We did a rising traverse up to Bealach an Aoghlain - easier than it looked, but there were a couple of gullies that were a pain. Lots of deer with young in the area too - I'm sure the deer get redder in the summer..

ImageDSCN3054 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3056 by Seana Carroll

Once up on the ridge, the walking was easy with a nice baggers path and the view :shock: Climbing any peak right next to rannoch moor is always beautiful, although slightly hazy today..

ImageDSCN3057 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3058 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3059 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3061 by Seana Carroll

We had another refuel before the final climb - it was getting windier, but I knew I was burning despite slapping on the sun screen all day. A cheerier air had engulfed us however - all doubts that we would make it gone. Hurrah only four munros to go for Dad now 8)

ImageDSCN3064 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3065 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3067 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3068 by Seana Carroll

We didn't stop long at the summit before retracing our steps to the previous col and heading down the burn. I had descended this way before, and I thought it would be kind on dads knees, but it was steeper than I remembered. Further down I crossed the burn and enjoyed views of waterfalls, while dad traversed into the glen high above me.
There were several cool, tasty springs to rehydrate along the way :)

ImageDSCN3069 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3070 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3072 by Seana Carroll

We didn't meet up again until we were back at the bikes. I arrived first and had got comfy lying across the track. Couldn't be bothered moving but knew I couldn't take much more of this sun..
After a wee rest we took to our saddles and boy was I suffering - My bum was so bruised from the mornings cycle, I could hardly sit in the saddle, and even a slight incline was enough to have me off my bike. My thighs felt like lead :lol: Despite this, there was a fair bit of downhill on the way home, and even I had to admit that the bikes quickened the journey!

ImageDSCN3073 by Seana Carroll

We were absolutely knackered when we got back - no sore feet, but was very sore to sit down, burnt legs so sore to bend my knees, we were badly dehydrated, my thighs were dead and even my arms were sore from the bike so another night in the van before home. :D
This morning we awoke to find our area had been mobbed by a bunch of highland cows, the calves of which found my car very interesting and seemed to enjoy licking it while I watched with concern from Dads Van :crazy: :lol:
Picked a lovely Dutch couple on the way home who were very interesting - Archaeologists doing the WHW on the way to a dig at the Ring of Brodgar - ended up taking them to Crianlarich which isn't really on the way home, but they were very grateful and had good banter so didn't mind a bit 8)
Top weekend all in all, but I wouldn't expect any more bike n hike reports any time soon. I might of got away with just a couple of bruises this time where I whacked my legs on the pedals, but still not at home going that fast :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Loch Lyon Bike 'n' hike

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:11 am

That looked enjoyable even if a tough day - I do like a good bike 'n hike and you got a good day for it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland