walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumelzier Law circuit

Drumelzier Law circuit

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Drumelzier Law, Middle Hill, Pykestone Hill

Date walked: 18/07/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 740m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was going to be a fine day so I left Glasgow at 6.30 in the morning and drove to Drumelzier. I found the car park at the end of the dead-end lane no bother but, even early in morning, so had the plagues of midges. I crossed the burn on the wooden bridge, followed the path behind the cottage and wandered along the good track in the cool of the morning - which was not to last long. Soon, the track began to rise passing between two small blocks of forest with sheep milling around in the cool gloom, staring rather eerily out as I passed.
P1030723.JPG
On Den Knowes looking back to Drumelzier
From here, a good grassy track, then a stony road, then rougher track, led all the way to the summit of Pykestone Hill, where some kind person had left a sawn log which was a perfect seat to sit leaning against the concrete trig.
P1030727.JPG
The summit of Pykestone Hill looking over to Middle Hill
The heat was beginning to build, so it was time to head off down the fence-line, through a bit of a peat-hag-bog at the low point, over to Long Grain Knowe and Middle Hill - all very easy and straightforward on lovely close-cropped soft grass.
P1030729.JPG
On the 'Thief's Road' looking back at the descent from Pykestone Hill
I have to say, though, that Middle Hill isn't exactly much to look at - even the summit is pretty untidy.
P1030732.JPG
The summit of Middle Hill looking over to Drumelzier Law and Broughton Hills
Without hanging around, I headed over to the more shapely Drumelzier Law, following a good path over Glenstivon Dod down to the dip before the final rise, which was bit of a slog in the noonday heat.
P1030735.JPG
Walking over from Middle Hill to Drumelzier Law
P1030739.JPG
Descending from Glenstivon Dod to the final climb to Drumelzier law
I did enjoy the sit at the cairn at the summit, enjoying a rest, a snack and the view over Culter Fell and Tinto.
P1030744.JPG
On the summit of Drumelzier Law looking over to Culter Fell
P1030746.JPG
The route of descent from Drumelzier Law
It was a fairly easy, pleasant descent over Logan Head and more steeply down Finglen Rig, through a couple of gates and then, finally, down beside the edge of the trees to the farm track in the glen.
Pykestone and Drumelzier pan.JPG
A pan fo Pykestone Hill and Drumelzier Law from Finglen Rig
By now it was HOT and it was a relief to give my feet a splash in cold water back at the car before the drive home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland