walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Reamhar from Tayvallich

Cnoc Reamhar from Tayvallich

Postby iangpark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Reamhar

Date walked: 12/07/2017

Distance: 11.9 km

Ascent: 584m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Despite this report's title, I am contrarily going to try and advocate for climbing Cnoc Reamhar by any route except Tayvallich! Having seen the trouble TomTMW and malky_c have gone through to document the top of this bugger, I had hoped to provide a straightforward route to the top, but alas, I don't think such a thing exists.

Our family has owned a caravan here for as long as I can remember - I have climbed Dun a' Chogaidh countless times. It's my version of Dumyat or Arthur's Seat or Meikle Bin I suppose. Only in recent years after discovering sub 2ks and what have you, have I been interested in climbing Cnoc Reamhar. Knowing the area relatively well, I was ashamed to have never heard of it beforehand. Taking 3 days in Tayvy after visiting Islay gave me a shot of bagging it - the weather was excellent and it hadn't rained (on Islay anyway) for at least 2 days.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I opted for the 'scenic' route starting half way to Carsaig (which is confusingly also called Carsaig). I walked up to the unnamed loch, which we have fished very successfully many times. It wouldn't surprise me if this loch dries up in a few years - it gets reedier and reedier each time I visit. Nevertheless, the path up to it always seems to be bustling with flora and fauna.

Our old lad Spike doing his best to keep up along the path:
1 - Spike.jpg

Dark Green Frit?:
2 - Dark Green Frit.jpg

My plan was to follow the track to the left of the loch (present on the OS map), but only just after my mum (and the dog) had walked as far as they saw fit, did I realise that the path here, if there ever was one, is near-as-makes-no-difference non-existent. Any path there ever was is now at best an extremely boggy, disused deer track. Having plucked up the courage and naivety to attempt this walk in trainers, I had no real option but to accept my fate and get my feet wet.

I plundered on through the dense birchwood, constantly trying to find a way around fallen trees and occasionally finding sightings of a dried up burn which I could use as a path. I had rolled my trousers up so as to not get them wet, and I suffered instead from scrapes and cuts and stings. After about 20/30 minutes, I came across a dry stone dyke running parallel to me. I followed it slightly up the embankment to the right and kept following the main burn along, first on its left side, then right. I came across an ancient water hydrant and a small, artificial weir further up. Not long after, while on the right hand side of the burn, evidence of the forestry workings were made clear by a huge dead rhododendron blocking my path. I decided it was probably best to go further right at this point and escape onto the heather, where there were finally some faint tracks (likely from workers). I had finally made it into the wider part of Gleann Sabhail, where I could try and figure out a way to the top.

Looking along the forested ridge - Cnoc Biorach to An Garadh and the hidden top of Cnoc Reamhar:
3 - Gleann Sabhail.jpg

I trudged along the glen floor, feet still as wet as ever. I crossed the burn to follow forestry vehicle tracks and find a suitable point to ascend. I decided on the small bealach between Cnoc Biorach and An Garadh (where the windblown trees on the picture above are). I cut through a relatively obvious fire break and began the ascent. It wasn't long before I realised just how difficult this was going to be. I put the camera in the bag and snaked a route upwards. It was not too bad until I came to a couple of rocky outcrops which I had to navigate up. One of them I had to turn back as it was just a bit too dangerous, the other I managed to pull my way up after 5 minutes or so, using birch saplings as handholds. This would have easily been worthy of ropes had there been no fine Knapdale vegetation to support me. I made it to the top of the face just below the windblown trees and followed it round to the right into a small flat area (on the map: at the curvy tail end of the forestry). From here it was a simple 5-minute scramble to the summit of An Garadh, where the views south are actually better than at Cnoc Reamhar.

An Garadh summit cairn:
5 - An Garadh Cairn.jpg

Scarba and Mull beyond. Barnhill on Jura (where Orwell wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four) is just off to the left:
4 - Barrhill and Scarba.jpg

View S from An Garadh. I could just manage to make out Gigha:
6 - View from An Garadh.jpg

The best view of Cnoc Reamhar, with its distinguishable plateau:
7 - Cnoc Reamhar.jpg

From here, I could pick out my way ahead and also my best route down. I passed though the families of oddly inquisitive sheep and was at the top around 20 minutes later. The going was much easier here (or maybe it was just relief from the past terrain!)

Approaching the Vanessa trig:
8 - Cnoc Reamhar Vanessa Trig.jpg

And now for the views!

View south:
11 - Summit view South.jpg

Caol Scotnish, the Faery Isles and Loch Sween:
10 - Caol Scotnish, Faerie Isles and Loch Sween.jpg

Over to the next Knapdale marilyn, Cruach Lusach:
12 - Cruach Lusach.jpg

Dunadd Fort at the Moine Mhor and (I think) the Trossachs:
9 - Dunadd and Trossachs.jpg

Ben Cruachan et al. (those big mountains I never get to climb - I think they're called Munros):
14 - Ben Cruachan et al..jpg

Up to god knows where:
15 - Up to god knows where.jpg

The Paps, from which I seem to have seen from every angle except below now:
13 - Paps of Jura.jpg

I sat on the trig, ate my lunch and basked in the sunshine, having climbed a hill I had wanted to climb for years. I knew the way down I was to take: follow the contours back for a while, then down to the fence and then to the muddy farmer's track that leads to Gallachoille. I can tell you now that this is quite literally the only sane way to get up (and down) this hill! I edged my way down to Gallachoille, still surprised at the lack of Adders about. Having been on Islay for 3 weeks and seeing none, I was determined to find one here. All was going well until I jumped down a small hag and turned the grass below me into mud, which then sent me well and truly onto my behind. I managed to cover my left leg, half of my right leg, entire left side, a bit of my back, a bit of my front, both hands, left arm and a good portion of my camera in wet mud. I cursed around in circles for a bit, put my cardigan in the bread bag I had brought for lunch and walked down for 5 minutes up to the nearest Gallachoille building, which looks a lot like a holiday home.

From here it's plain sailing back to the road, on a very well-maintained path I might add - I could have used that at the start. After that it's a 40 minute walk back into Tayvallich.

Best seat in the glen:
16 - Seats with a view.jpg

I hope anyone reading this now feels aware of just how inaccessible this hill seems to be! The Gallachoille path is definitely the easiest way up, but even that has a good 25/30 minute farmland crawl to the top after the last house. I can see why it's deemed worthy of a Vanessa trig now. A bucket list hill, well and truly earned!
Last edited by iangpark on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Cnoc Reamhar from Tayvallich

Postby ArgyllGoSlow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I went up via Arinafad Beg last year. Thought I had prepared my route ok until I tried to go through a break in the trees which did not exist and I had to really fight my way through. After climbing a wall the going not so bad. After reaching the Trig point I headed along the hill towards Crinan and down to a forestry road to Crinan Harbour. Worst part was the start. Great views to Ben Cruachan
ArgyllGoSlow
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:15   

Re: Cnoc Reamhar from Tayvallich

Postby iangpark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 pm

ArgyllGoSlow wrote:I went up via Arinafad Beg last year. Thought I had prepared my route ok until I tried to go through a break in the trees which did not exist and I had to really fight my way through. After climbing a wall the going not so bad. After reaching the Trig point I headed along the hill towards Crinan and down to a forestry road to Crinan Harbour. Worst part was the start. Great views to Ben Cruachan

Even ascending from the easy side isn't easy! Would really like to have gone from Crinan though; would be a much nicer walk. Views there really are spectacular.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland