walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Donalds ridge walk highest Meaul

3 Donalds ridge walk highest Meaul

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsgarroch, Coran of Portmark, Meaul

Date walked: 16/07/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.61 km

Ascent: 724m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This week another day out with the fine folk from the KRC. It was an interesting section of the Rhinns of Kells ridge walk, an up and down day that takes in 3 Donald category hills. The route begins with a walk in then by climbing Coran of Portmark (623m), walking along the ridge to Bow (613m), continue until the highest point of the day Meaul (695m) and then cut across to Cairnsgarroch (659m)and then homewards.
View from the start.JPG

Grey clouds at the start
An early start saw us parked up at the Green Well parking area near Carsphairn and we were walking by 9. After yesterday's awful monsoon conditions fingers crossed but disappointingly there is more grey than blue in the sky, let's be positive.
Track to the ruins.JPG

The track to the mine ruins
Avoid any traffic on the short road section then once over the bridge turn left and follow the track to the abandoned Woodhead lead mines. It is amazing that over 300 people once lived here with their own school, now there are just a few ruins dotted about. You go through a working farm, take care with gates, very grumpy farmer.
Along the track at Garryhorn is another historical spot in the demise of the Covenanters. This was the local base of the infamous Grierson of Lag whose dragoons slaughtered many Covenanters in the area. I love the bit where he was said to be so in league with the devil that at his funeral a black corbie (raven or crow depending on your local speak) perched on the hearse all the way to the grave.
Some mining ruins.jpg

Ruins and hills
After the ruins, go round the back and follow a quad bike trail up the side of Knockower hill and follow the faint lines to the right about two thirds up, going against the ridge and it will soon rise to the trig of Coran of Portmark. There are now superb views down the length of Loch Doon as well as along the ridge you are soon going to walk. Behind excellent views of Cairnsmore of Carsphairn and south with Loch Ken, a silver shining dog leg in the distance.
Loch Doon below Coran.JPG

Loch Doon from Coran of Portmark
The wind was now significantly more than a breeze and turning cold, many jackets were donned, some of the group even adding gloves. Rain can also be seen moving from the west across Craiglee, this is high summer!! But the views are top drawer.
Take time and enjoy this excellent ridge walk with its grand views over 360 degrees. Sadly the wind turbines are aplenty, just try and ignore them. The ridge has some undulating but fine walking. Although we are stopping our walk at Meaul the ridge continues and from here there are also fine views of Carlin's Cairn.
Bow and Meaul ahead.jpg

Bow & Meaul from Coran, Merrick on the right
According to the guide on the top of Bow apparently there is a single stone and plaque marking the spot where a Covenanter, John Dempster, was shot by Lag’s dragoons, but we could not find it and with the cold winds not many wanted to hang about.
Plateau.JPG

Meaul ahead
Another up and down on a fairly good plateau track and thankfully we reach Meaul, good views of the high hills including the Corbett Merrick. A stone wall dyke gives us excellent protection from the wind to have a break and enjoy our lunch. So good I thought the wind had died until I stood up.
Meaul trig.jpg

Meaul trig
We descend some slightly rougher terrain and then climb back up to the cairn at Cairnsgarroch. Underfoot is a getting more challenging, hidden holes in the grass ready to do an ankle to the unwary, but it was to get a lot worse. Time for snaps then a long descent down a steep grassy slope to the burn.
Cairnsgarroch cairn.jpg

Cairnsgarroch cairn looking back to the ridge
This was the start of the trickiest section. The grass was still slightly wet and like ice at times, a few slips in the group but thankfully just pride hurt. Once down it was not over as we had about quarter of a mile of treacherous Galloway tussocks and thickets, holes and ditches aplenty and well hidden, every step a potential leg breaking injury. This stretch was not fun.
At the burn a decision was made to cross this straight away which only resulted in one embarrassed water casualty. However, we then had about a mile of the previous terrain, throw in some chest high bracken and you get the picture.
Fern finish.JPG

Squeeze through bracken
Finally back to the Woodhead ruins, no injuries and then we followed the incoming track back to the car.
No doubt that it was one of the slower group walks that I have been on and if it had been a solo trip I reckon I would have cut 1-2 hours off it, but a fun day nevertheless in good company. Plenty of stunning views particularly when the clouds disappeared and we actually got skelped by the sun.
Walk time 7.02 hours. Distance 10.94 miles (17.61km). Ascent 2373 ft (724m).
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: 3 Donalds ridge walk highest Meaul

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Enjoyed that, I did just about the same route at the tail end of last year. You could have continued a bit further south and said hello to Carlins Cairn :wink:

The one thing I remember and like you didn't enjoy was the trek at the foot of Cairnsgarroch, awful underfoot conditions and the grass was so long I could have been lost forever :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Had I been on my own I would have continued but it was a group walk so follow the leader. Still I will get both Carlin's Cairn and Corserine soon. :D
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I did this route, with the other Donald, in very claggy, damp conditions. Walking through that ruined mining settlement was very eerie indeed :shock: As was the farm house as it emerged from the mist on my return. Half expected a mad axe man to attack as I walked past :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland