walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Hill Pentlands just one angry coo

Black Hill Pentlands just one angry coo

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Hill (Pentlands)

Date walked: 11/07/2017

Time taken: 2.21 hours

Distance: 9.99 km

Ascent: 299m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Black hill from Threipmuir.jpg

Black Hill
After my earlier adventures with the coos at East Cairn Hill I parked up at Harlaw car park and set off for the Black Hill (a Sub 2000 501m). It was a hill that I had climbed but quite a few years ago so a good time for a refresher. However, there was one slight problem. A sign indicated that the Black springs walk was closed today and as I had to go over this spot, would my walk be over before it properly starts a second time?
Track to Black Springs.JPG

Track to Black Springs
I walked past the reservoirs and cut along the side of Threipmuir to the Black Springs. A digger was sitting idle, tape blocked the crossing and a big hole had been dug. However there were no workmen around so over I went and followed the rising track to the south end of Black hill. I spotted other people in the distance so not the only one to disregard the signs.
Track to Black Springs.JPG

East Cairn the distant hill
It was pretty hot so time for water intake and hat on but when I left the track and gained height there was a cooling breeze which was welcomed.
From this end there is no obvious track so I just picked a spot and climbed up beside a fence. A path of sorts appeared so easier walking. When the climb levelled off there was a wooden gate so decision made and over I went. It is a featureless and rather bland hill.
Bland hill.JPG

Featureless top
This hill is a managed grouse moor so mainly heather terrain but considering the shooting season is due to start it was very surprising that I never sprung or heard one today.
To get to the top keep following very narrow trails which are either sheep trails or grouse tracks.
Estate track, Scald Law & Kips behind.JPG

Scald Law & the Kips behind estate track
It is not too bad, keep focusing on the white poles which are grouse feeding areas and then bingo, near the top I find a keepers trail which leads all the way to the top. A couple of walkers over to my right the first I met on the hill
At the top the views are excellent particularly of the main Pentlands ridge, Scald Law, the Kips etc. Great views of the bridges and Fife as well as Edinburgh a superb spot to spend some time picking out all the landmarks.
The top.JPG

The top
I continued on the track heading east and descending. Some boggy peat areas to negotiate but keep following the track. I met 3 old guys coming up the only other people I met on the hill. I think they were glad of the breather to stop and chat.
Glencorse below.JPG

Glencorse below
More superb views across the east Pentlands hills as I descended. Then I came across the shooting butts ready for the slaughter, if there are any birds to shoot.
Shooting butt.JPG

At the bottom I turn left and follow the path back to the Black Springs. This time there are workers but a bit of pleading and I am let over. Very glad as my alternative was back up the trail to Balerno which was a few unwanted miles.
Allermuir etc.jpg

Allermuir etc
Just before the reservoir I came across a field of bullocks. One beside the gate is in a snorting angry mood staring wide eyed at me but I had to laugh as it was desperately trying to undo the rope keeping the gate closed. I walked through the small paddock just as it succeeded in getting in. Could be fun and games if another walker meets it in this enclosed space.
Black Springs.jpg

Beautiful Black Springs
I was wondering what aura I give off that these beasts seem inclined to do me harm, probably fear. More likely they know that I like a succulent rib-eye.
Still another enjoyable day in the countryside.
Distance 6.21 miles (9.99km)
Ascent 982 ft (299m)
Time 2 hours 21min.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland