walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild camp after a wild day in Cairngorms.

Wild camp after a wild day in Cairngorms.

Postby mamoset » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin & Derry Cairngorm, Deeside

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 17/07/2017

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 2000m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had decided a while back, that the best way for us Englanders to get round the central Cairngorm Munros was to wild camp. So, with a favourable two day forecast, we headed for Linn of Dee at the usual ungodly hour and left the car by 9 o'clock. Blue skies and warmth abounded, but the strong wind was evident. It's a pleasant walk up Glen Lui to Derry Lodge before we veered off up Glen Derry.
IMG_0856.JPG
Derry Cairngorm, will be No. 4 later today!!
We had planned to split up in Glen Derry, with me going up Beinn Bhreac & Beinn a' Chaorainn on my own. I missed the path by the last burn as we were busy gabbing :lol: :crazy: so, it was straight up and over the heathery hillside leading under West Top and on to Beinn Bhreac itself.
IMG_0863.JPG
Up Glen Derry to Derry Cairngorm & Beinn Mheadhoin.
IMG_0880.JPG
Cairn Toul comes into view on the ascent of Beinn Bhreac.
As I approached the summit of Beinn Bhreac, a lovely male Dotterel started acting up in front of me and I soon spotted why; he had two small chicks with him. I resisted the temptation to get too close and got a quick pic of him.
IMG_0885.JPG
Dotterel.
IMG_0893.JPG
Beinn Bhreac.
Due to the strength of the wind, I only stayed a short while before heading for the dreaded Moine Bhealaidh!!!!
IMG_0896.JPG
Beinn a' Chaorainn across Moine Bhealaidh.
Anyway, it was really easy to get across, reasonable path for the most part, couple of minor boggy bits, and so I was soon heading up Beinn a' Chaorainn into an ever increasing wind. :o I had intended to go to the Munro Top, but walking was quite difficult at this point so I shelved that plan and made straight for the main summit :lol:
IMG_0904.JPG
Beinn a' Chaorainn.
IMG_0906.JPG
Cairn Gorm from Chaorainn summit.
IMG_0910.JPG
Stob Coire Sputan Dearg to Ben Macdui.
There didn't appear to be an "easy" way down to Lairig an Laoigh, so I followed the shoulder of B a' C until it looked steep but easy enough to get to level ground :D Once there, I had some food then skirted Stob Coire Etchachan to meet the path up to the Hutchison Memorial Hut.
IMG_0921.JPG
Hutchison Memorial Hut in Coire Etchachan.
I followed the path up to Loch Etchachan, were I located my mates rucksack. I left mine with it, then took the path up to Beinn Mheadhoin.
IMG_0934.JPG
Loch Etchachan from ascent of Beinn Mheadhoin.
Met a few walkers on my way up who alluded to the strength of the wind on the top, but once up there, I figured they were playing it down, it was ferocious!! :shock:
IMG_0941.JPG
Summit tors.
Being a bit older, and therefore wiser, I decided not to stand on the summit, but climbed up to it and managed to one hand my camera into the following picture :?
IMG_0948.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin.
Now, I am sure the purists among you will say I should have stood up there, and if I'm ever this way again, I will, I promise!! :thumbup: Anyway, I didn't stay long and having met up at the bags and had a bit of a refuel, Derry Cairngorm was our next destination. As we began the ascent of Derry Cairngorm, it was notable that the wind was beginning to drop off, which made walking a bit more pleasurable.
IMG_0953.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Mheadhoin ascent route.
IMG_0956.JPG
Route up Derry Cairngorm, Beinn a' Ghlo in background.
IMG_0963.JPG
Helicopter cloud over Cairn Toul!!
This is a fairly shallow ascent and soon enough we were at the summit.
IMG_0973.JPG
Derry Cairngorm.
It was turning into a pleasant enough evening, so after re-joining the Macdui path, we passed what was our intended bivvy spot near the small lochan behind Coire Sputan Dearg, and headed for Ben Macdui.
IMG_0976.JPG
Cairn Gorm, Beinn Mheadhoin, Bynack More & Beinn a' Chaorainn.
IMG_0986.JPG
Derry Cairngorm across Coire Sputan Dearg.
By the time we reached the summit, the wind had died completely and it was a really pleasant evening.
IMG_0994.JPG
Ben Macdui.
There is a ruin marked on the map, probably only 10 metres descent from the summit, and this looked fine for sleeping in. Turns out it was :lol: so after a very satisfying, if difficult at times, day, we bedded down.
IMG_1002.JPG
Macdui Hilton.
The beauty of camping this high, is it's nearly all down hill tomorrow :thumbup: :lol:
IMG_1006.JPG
The ruin (next morning).
Day 2 to follow!!!
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Wild camp after a wild day in Cairngorms.

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Enjoyed that - and day 2 just topped it off :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mamoset » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 am

Hi rh, just glad the wind died down or it might have been a looong night!!! :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 am

I always wanted to wildcamp in the Cairngorms, but somehow we managed all M's there in day trips... Will have to come back with a tent one day just to see the sunrise over the plateau...

We were overnighting in the Fisherfields the very same night, at last some summer weather :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 am

Great report - and a fine place to kip out! This may be of interest: http://theuplandofmar.squarespace.com/sappers-bothy/.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mamoset » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:49 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I always wanted to wildcamp in the Cairngorms, but somehow we managed all M's there in day trips... Will have to come back with a tent one day just to see the sunrise over the plateau...

We were overnighting in the Fisherfields the very same night, at last some summer weather :D

Hi BP, not seen a report on that one, was it a wild camp?
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby mamoset » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

jmarkb wrote:Great report - and a fine place to kip out! This may be of interest: http://theuplandofmar.squarespace.com/sappers-bothy/.

Thanks jmark, useful bit of info in that article, plenty more to read as well, when I find the time :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

mamoset wrote:Hi BP, not seen a report on that one, was it a wild camp?

I'm currently in the process of writing - should post it tomorrow :D We wildcamped near Canmore bothy. This is the view we had from our tent:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby mamoset » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Got to say, that looks a real nice camping spot :thumbup: :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland