walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slat Bheinn (Knoydart)

Slat Bheinn (Knoydart)

Postby mountainsofscotland » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Slat Bheinn

Date walked: 21/07/2017

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 25.4 km

Ascent: 910m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Report removed.
Last edited by mountainsofscotland on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Re: Slat Bheinn (Knoydart)

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:37 pm

An interesting, if tough looking, route for this one :clap: A superb area, but I think I might take a more traditional route when I get round to bagging this one :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 pm

A good route in - haven't ventured up Gleann Cosaidh yet. Some great photos too.
You have 4 toughies left to do - although Meith Bheinn & An Stac are a beautiful pair
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I am afraid that we opted for the softies route in, namely hiring The Stables private bothy which you can heat with loads of coal, and walking in from there. Even then, it snowed in May and we thought we might have to rent it all over again. We looked at your route, but it looked incredibly tiring.

What a super rock picture.

And while we are talking softies, I am sure that you know that Viv de Fresnes operates a boat up to the Oban bothy if your knee is still troubling you.....that was our excuse when we did it that way. You just need another couple to share the cost.

Can't help with a soft way to Meall Garbh, and you don't cycle do you?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Sgurr wrote:What a super rock picture.

Can't help with a soft way to Meall Garbh, and you don't cycle do you?

Thanks. There are a couple of bands of rock like this one and also a few other bits of interesting geology along the shoreline including long straight bands of quartz. When I was a kid I cycled everywhere. I have done all the Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds without using a bike at all, however, I did use a bike for 7 of my first round Munros. I have since re-done four of them without a bike and have three yet to do again also without a bike. I can then say I've done all the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds without a bike.

weaselmaster wrote:A good route in - haven't ventured up Gleann Cosaidh yet. Some great photos too.
You have 4 toughies left to do - although Meith Bheinn & An Stac are a beautiful pair

Thanks. Yes, I left several longs ones 'til last. Will probably be chipping away at them with a few weeks in between as I have a torn meniscus in my knee which isn't healing on its own.

PeteR wrote:An interesting, if tough looking, route for this one A superb area, but I think I might take a more traditional route when I get round to bagging this one

Thanks. The benefit of going in from the east is that it is just a grassy ascent. Fairly rocky from the other side.
mountainsofscotland

Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby TheTortoise » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:24 am

Many thanks for your report, we’ve just been up Slat Bheinn from Gleann Cosaidh and it was good to have an idea of what that route would be like.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland