walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ellenabeich Hillwalk plus Meall a' Chaise

Ellenabeich Hillwalk plus Meall a' Chaise

Postby ArgyllGoSlow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Route description: Ellenabeich hillwalk, Isle of Seil

Date walked: 24/07/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last year I decided to try and reach some of the local Trig Points before heading up the bigger hills. Too hot for me today to head up a high hill but wanted to get out and about so decided to head to Ellenabeich (about an hour from where I stay).

My plan was to head up the hill walk and try to get to Meall a' Chroise Trig Point. I was not sure how successful this would be due to the bracken. As usual on these local walks was accompanied by Bramble the dug.

I headed to the start point as stated in Walk Highlands but found a barbed wire fence and no style. There was a space for the dog to get under the fence and I climbed over and followed the path. Great views very quickly. After the path turned to start heading back down I stopped to consider Meall a'Chroise. I was very lucky as where I stopped there was an obvious break in the bracken. I followed this path to a 'road' up the hill and then followed the tracks of a four wheel drive for a wee while. I checked where the Trig Point was and headed over heathers and blaeberry bushes to the top. There was another barbed wire fence to climb, Bramble got thrown over both heading up and back.

Bramble had a great time. She was kept on the lead as lots of sheep but happy to bounce through the heathers. We shared water at the Trig as we were both roasting.

The views were stunning and 360 degrees. Cruachan, Jura, Mull, Insh Island and down to Ellenabeich.

The walk, if just following the walk as described in Walk Highlands is very easy to follow. I was a bit concerned at the start due to the barbed fire fence and no style.

After a wee sit down at the Trig Point headed down to join the path and followed it down to the road, back through the village to the car and an icecream which I also shared with Bramble (we were both still roasting).
ArgyllGoSlow
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:15   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland