walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Millstone Hill. The Day After Bennachie.

Millstone Hill. The Day After Bennachie.

Postby neilfowlie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 am

Route description: Millstone Hill, near Bennachie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Millstone Hill

Date walked: 06/06/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well it was the day after my trip up Bennachie. We had arrange to go walking with my mate Milner and his wife that day but their plans had changed so we had decided to meet them the day after and go up Millstone Hill instead as it was going to be later on in the day before they would be able to get out there. The morning did not look good when I first looked out of the window. Rain, rain and well more rain. It was still a few hours till we were due to meet up so with my glass half full I was confident it would turn out to be a good day or for it to at least stop raining. With our bag packed again (plus the sandwiches we said we would make for everyone) we were off. We were running a bit late (no shock there) by the time we got to the Donview car park where we were to meet up and set off from. The weather wasn't the best but it had stopped raining and looked like it might brighten up a bit so the five of us decided to set off up the path (I say the five of us as Milner took along his dog Colby just in case we got lost :-)).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The path itself didn't take long to start climbing. At one point it's like a continuous staircase made up of huge stones for each step.
CIMG1541.JPG
A Staircase To Nowhere Maybe!!!!

Just as the trees start to thin out we had came across a nicely laid out stone that served as a "look out" platform with some nice views of Pitfichie Forest to the south of us. Colby even had a minute to stand and admire the views. So with a quick breather and topped up with water we headed off again with Colby leading the way of course.
CIMG1546.JPG
Pitfichie Forest and Hill

CIMG1544.JPG

CIMG1548.JPG
A "Look out" stone

CIMG1551.JPG
Thursty work this hill walking

CIMG1549.JPG
Looking South West towards Alford.

It didn't seem to take us too long before we could see the summit and Mither Tap sitting proud behind. Well, we could see most of Mither tap in front of us as the cloud every so often would shroud its summit. By the time we had reached the top of Millstone Hill the wind was quite blustery and cold so it wasn't long in deciding it was time to head off and to leave the sandwiches till we got back to the car park.
CIMG1554.JPG
Mither Tap

CIMG1555.JPG

Now, as you start your descend down Millstone heading north it's not far till you come to a fork in the road. Carry on heading north and Bennachie awaits or stay to the right which takes you down Millstone Hill on the circular route.
CIMG1557.JPG
A fork in the path

CIMG1562.JPG
Decisions, decisions

It was suggested that we should carry on up to Mither Tap but the girls really didn't look up to it and to be fair time wasn't on our side. Plus it was a "school night" so back to the car park it was. The path back down was a lot easier on the legs as it is a more gentle decline, zig-zagging its way down the hill.
CIMG1564.JPG
Almost back

CIMG1565.JPG
Millstone Hill

Once back at the car park the sandwiches were dished out and me and Milner got speaking. We decided we should try and combined both Millstone Hill and Bennachie in to one walk. So, later that week I mapped out a route starting at Donview Car park which took us to Mither Tap, Oxen Craig, Watch Craig and along the Gordon Way back towards the Donview Car park via Millstone Hill. It was such a good walk when we did it a few weeks later and would recommend it. I didn't have the camera that day though which I regret but I have attached the route we took in case you are interested.
It took about 5 hours and is about 9.5miles long

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Millstone Hill. The Day After Bennachie.

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:46 pm

well done neil
a nice walk and enjoyable report
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby walk aboot » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Yup, another great report.

Walking one day, walking the next, walking both walks combined in to one after that, you're a bit of a walk-a-holic, neilfowlie.

Good stuff though :) , I can see from the photos why anyone would like walking around there, keep them reports coming :thumbup: .

Loved the photo of the dog having a drink straight from the bottle :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby neilfowlie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:38 am

Yeah, just a bit of a walk-a-holic thing going on now but as long as I am enjoying it all is good :D
Away on holiday for two weeks. As it's Disney World we're off too I'm sure there will be plenty of walking to do there as well. :lol:

As for Bennachie and Millstone Hill they are one of my favourite places but since I started walking, every walk I have done has something special and unique about it that you just love and makes you feel proud to be from Scotland or appreciate coming here to walk these hills don't you think.
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland