walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magnificent Cape Wrath Mountains

Magnificent Cape Wrath Mountains

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Grianan (Parph), An Socach (Parph), Beinn Akie, Beinn Dearg (Parph), Creag Riabhach, Farrmheall, Fashven, Ghlas-bheinn (Parph), Meall Meadhonach (Durness), Sgribhis-bheinn

Date walked: 21/07/2017

Time taken: 31.25 hours

Distance: 86.7 km

Ascent: 4149m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the next 2 months, we're going to be reduced to 2 day weekends as Allison has a Mindfulness course to attend on Fridays over that period. So this was to be our last long weekend for a while. I'd managed to get the Monday off which gave us 4 days. With a reasonably positive weather forecast especially for the far north west. Where could we possibly go, I wonder...

I'd looked at the clutch of Marilyns up in the Cape Wrath area when I was researching routes for my yet-to-happen CWT saunter. There are 8 of the little darlings peppered all over the Parph territory and I worked out a route that would combine them and allow a visit to Kearvaig, on my wish list and to The Cape, on Allison's. The main concern was the terrain - trackless (apart from the route the minibus takes from the Durness ferry to the lighthouse) and likely to be wild and boggy. I have clear memories of returning from climbing Foinaven back to Gualin House over a sea of marshes and bog-lagoons, menaced my midges. I wasn't sure I could handle 3 days of that :wink:

We had a lovely drive up on Thursday night - the roads were surprisingly quiet and the visibility was superb - we got to see mountains on the way that are usually obscured by cloud anytime we drive up. Stopped at Ardvreck Castle to camp for the night - arrived about 9.30. Some folk were camping by the ruins - we simply found a spot just by the car park, braved the midges and get pitched.

capewratx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 1 was going to be the hardest - 30km would be required to get us to Kearvaig over the top of 5 or 6 mountains. We rose early, packed up and drove up to Gualin House, about 9 miles short of Durness. There's a layby that will allow 3 or 4 cars to be parked. We strapped on the big packs and set off before 9. Our first hill was Farrmheall, which is just by the roadside - an easy one to pick off if you're driving by. We walked along the road to a small bridge then set off up the side of the mountain. Across the way Foinaven, Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh lay basking in the morning sunshine. Most of our hills were to have a similar structure - soggy bottoms and stony tops. Farrmheall was no exception. We did find some traffic cones on the hillside which we thought unusual :lol: Reaching the summit we were watched by a band of sheep. We enjoyed the views then headed northeast for the next hill, Ghlas-bheinn. A smaller proposition at 333m it has a lochan ornamenting its top. First, however, there were some bogs to cross.

Foinaven
ImageP1160440 by Al, on Flickr

Farrmheall
ImageP1160441 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Farrmheall
ImageP1160444 by Al, on Flickr

Ghlas-bheinn with summit lochan
ImageP1160447 by Al, on Flickr

As we dropped off the end of Cnoc an Fhreiceadain to the bealach the bog became quite challenging, requiring careful route planning in places to avoid a watery death. Once we started climbing the grassy slopes of Ghlas-bheinn the going was much easier and the top was reached with its own special views - we could see the long sandy tongue of the Kyle of Durness to the north. My plan was to head off NW making for a footbridge marked on the map crossing the confluence at Bun na Tri-Allt. The descent was craggy in places. As I turned a corner I disturbed a Golden Eagle which flew off to my left maybe 5 feet away, close enough to feel the downdraft from her wings and hear the wind stream through her feathers. A couple of downy feathers fluttered to the ground as she rose into the air and flew towards Maovally More. Marvellous. Now for the bridge...um well the bad news was that it was not there - not even remnants. So it was a wade. Fortunately the water level wasn't that high and we both managed to cross without water ingress over gaiters. More rather soggy ground and an ATV track took us to Maovally More where we paused for lunch.

Bogs to be negotiated off Farrmheall - Cranstackie/Spionnaidh in backdrop
ImageP1160451 by Al, on Flickr

Ghlas-bheinn
ImageP1160453 by Al, on Flickr

Foinaven
ImageP1160455 by Al, on Flickr

The cliffs of creag Riabhach to the north from Ghlas-bheinn
ImageP1160456 by Al, on Flickr

Fashven and Sgribhis-bheinn
ImageP1160458 by Al, on Flickr

Kyle of Durness (zoomed) from Ghlas-bheinn
ImageP1160460 by Al, on Flickr

No bridge!!
ImageP1160461 by Al, on Flickr

I was a little concerned as to whether we'd manage the rest of the day's agenda due to the terrain. Our next target, Ben Akie, was an out-and-back job and looked quite far away from where we sat. I contemplated excising it from the route but then snapped myself out of such foolish thinking. We set off down once more into the valley and then up the slopes of Ben Akie. Over to our left rose the whaleback of Fashven, next on the list, with Loch Airidh na Beinne before it. The summit of Akie is on a rocky promontory over a boggy plain. When reached it provided good views of Durness, Faraid Head and the endless ocean beyond. We returned to our sacks which were left in the valley and turned our attention to Fashven.

Ben Akie looks far away from here...
ImageP1160464 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Akie, Faradh Head beyond
ImageP1160468 by Al, on Flickr

Fashven & Sgribhis-bheinn from Akie
ImageP1160469 by Al, on Flickr

It was around 2.30pm by this time - I reckoned we should summit Fashven around 4, with maybe 3 hours walking to do after that. The ascent is one long slow climb, a steady gradient. We reached Loch na Gainmhich and set off up the back of Fashven proper, crossing over into the Danger Zone in the process. I had checked on the MOD website that there was no bombardment scheduled when we were there (none for the whole of July actually) but it didn't stop me from speculating what we'd do if a few shells suddenly came our way. Not really much you could do but hope you weren't hit :shock: We reached the summit and feasted on the vista to the north. We could see our final hill of the day, Sgribhis-bheinn sitting to the north, separated by a wide expanse of flat ground on which we could make out a few haphazardly placed vehicles, presumably targets for the bombardments. I had originally intended to come off Fashven to the NW, where it looked possible to creep down a steep gully, but this was always a provisional option to be amended if required when we could see the lie of the land. Although the initial descent looked OK it appeared that crags would have to be negotiated thereafter - not the ideal option for tired legs and big packs. So plan B was to head NE off the shoulder, missing out on an ascent of Maovally and aim for Inshore, then joining the track.

Into the danger zone
ImageP1160474 by Al, on Flickr

Ascending Fashven
ImageP1160475 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Fashven
ImageP1160476 by Al, on Flickr

Steepish descent
ImageP1160479 by Al, on Flickr

So that's what we did - steep in places but not a difficult descent. Again a bit of bog in the flat lands, wildflowers everywhere - yellow spears of bog ashphodel, sundews, so many sundews, the rattling purple heather bells, white flags of bog cotton and what I think might be frog orchids. Onwards towards the abandoned vehicles with various bits of debris arond them, presumably where they've been hit. Sgribhis-bheinn rose before us - we reached the track and progressed more swiftly than crossing the bogland, we turned up the hillside after a small bridge and followed faint ATV tracks that led towards the summit. Frequent shell craters pocked the ground on either side of the track, giving the impression that the targets had been Marilyn baggers :lol: These were very deep indeed - woe betide you if you stumbled into one of those on a dark night. Onwards to the top where a trig point awaited and some grand views, including down to Kearvaig Bay where we could make out the bothy.

Sgribhis-bheinn from Fashven
ImageP1160480 by Al, on Flickr

Fashven
ImageP1160482 by Al, on Flickr

Frog orchid?
ImageP1160483 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160485 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160486 by Al, on Flickr

On the track, looking back to Inshore
ImageP1160489 by Al, on Flickr

Beware meteorites!
ImageP1160490 by Al, on Flickr

Sgribhis-bheinn
ImageP1160491 by Al, on Flickr

Allison probing shell craters
ImageP1160492 by Al, on Flickr

This one's deeper - just take it from me!
ImageP1160493 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Sgribhis-bheinn
ImageP1160495 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160497 by Al, on Flickr

Kearvaig Bay & bothy
ImageP1160499 by Al, on Flickr

My plan had been to continue along the top ridge of Sgribhis-bheinn, following the coastline to Kearvaig which would allow us to see the Cathedral Stack before we got to the bothy. However it was quicker and easier to return to the track - it had been a long day and backs & feet were weary. We collected our packs once down and set off on the final few km to the bothy. I half hoped that it would be empty, but I thought this unlikely given the time of year. We'd use the tent if we needed to - would be no hardship to camp alongside Kearvaig Bay. Tiredness evaporated from the muscles as we descended the rough track to the bay and caught sight of the sea. By this time it was getting on for 7 and we wanted to get settled, have some grub and then a paddle. As we drew nearer to the bothy, tell-tale smoke rising from the chimney confirmed the lack of solitude. But no matter. We continued down to the bay and found a superb spot to pitch by the burn. The only drawback were large numbers of clegs who also seemed to like the location. Some Smidge was called for as we put the tent up. I have little regard for Smidge as a midge repellant, but it seemed to dissuade clegs from landing.

Track down to Kearvaig
ImageP1160504 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160505 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160506 by Al, on Flickr

Day 1 stats
ImageP1160508 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160511 by Al, on Flickr

Tea was made and eaten, shorts were donned and a paddle was had walking along the beautiful white sands of Kearvaig. I'm tending to favour this bay over the better known Sandwood, although it's a lot smaller (and probably not even haunted). I'd love to be here in mid-winter with the stormy sea crashing in, to walk on the beach then retreat to a peat fire in the bothy...Some of the other folk from the bothy were out to enjoy the sun too - we counted 7 folk altogether, there may have been more inside. Tent was a good idea. Sitting with a wee 12 year old Malt, basking in the late evening sunshine, watching puffins fly down with jittery short-winged flight to dive in the sea for fish and return to the cliffs - what could be a better way to spend a Friday evening? The sun slowly sank, and we witnessed a glorious sunset around 10pm, the sand turned to red gold.

ImageP1160513 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160514 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160516 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160518 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160521 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160523 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160528 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160533 by Al, on Flickr

Up earlyish on Saturday morning to find another fine day in prospect. We sat in the sunshine having our chocolate porridge and were entertained by the antics of a weasel which darted around the rocks in the stream beside us, every so often pausing upright in that quizzical and endearing way that weasels have. Then we packed up and set off back up the hillside track to the main track. We'd walk out to the lighthouse and have a nosey around there, climbing the wee hill Dunan Mor at the Cape itself (presumably the most north-westerly trig point on the mainland). It was easy enough going although we were assailed by multitudes of flying things. Although the Smidge kept clegs from skin they simply chose to bite through our tee shirts :lol: Ach well.

Weasel frolics
ImageP1160537 by Al, on Flickr

We passed a check point/barrier with warning signs then got a view of the Cathedral Stack as we continued on our trail. Around 10.15 we were passed by 2 minibuses on their way to the Cape. Up to Dunan Mor and a fine view of the dramatic coastline then down towards the Ozone Cafe (which looked run down - we didn't visit) and out to the lighthouse. There were a number of folk milling around from the minibuses and even more walking in when we left, including a big party heading towards Sandwood Bay (maybe they got the minibus in?) After all the solitude of the past 24 hours it was a bit weird. We quickly left the other folk behind as we retraced our way back along the track, looking along the coastline to the south, Snadwood Bay and Am Buachaille were visible. One of the minibuses stopped to see if we wanted a lift back to the ferry ("no thank you Sir!"). We cut off the track to the south just past Cnoc na Tri-mile. We were making for Beinn Dearg, a subMarilyn on our way to Creag Riabhach where I thought we might spend the night.

ImageP1160541 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160542 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160543 by Al, on Flickr

Cathedral Stack
ImageP1160544 by Al, on Flickr

Dunan Mor
ImageP1160545 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160546 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160549 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160552 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160555 by Al, on Flickr

Sandwood Bay
ImageP1160556 by Al, on Flickr

The next section was another bog trot, although not as wet as I feared it might be. Little lochans and large shell craters abounded, deer kept a wary distance from us and after some further naviataional practice around the deeper bogs we reached the edge of the danger area fence. It was hot, our water was running low and I was feeling kinda tired after the long day yesterday. In some of the lochans we spotted tiny white creatures on the surface, zipping about at a fair rate of knots, creating their own wavelets, dancing when two or more of them met. I couldn't see them clearly enough to know what they were - beetles or larvae of some kind maybe, not pond skaters as they and no legs. Attempts to capture them on film failed on account of their small size and great speed. We continued on to Beinn Dearg, selecting a gully with a stream to ascend. This was a glorious mountain spring, with tumbling tresses of crystal clear water, moss lined rocks, dragonflies and damselflies whirring in and out of the spray. We paused to drink deep and refill our packs then continued up to the summit.

Beinn Dearg
ImageP1160559 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160561 by Al, on Flickr

The water scooters...
ImageP1160569 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160572 by Al, on Flickr

Looking back north
ImageP1160573 by Al, on Flickr

From here the views were extensive - Ben Loyal and Hope to the east, Am Buachaille to the west and the large mass of Creag Riabhach, our next target, to the south. We descended grassy slopes, past some huge erratic boulders and steeply down into Bealach Coir' a' Choin. New fencing was in evidence, reaching high up the side of Creag Riabhach. We continued SW under the impressive cliffs then following deer tracks to climb steeply up rocky terracing to the summit plateau. I was torn between a summit camp and pitching down by Loch a'Phuill Buidhe, which would allow us to climb An Grianan at sunset - in the end I decided we'd just camp on Creag Riabhach (a good plan as it turned out as the ground around the pretty loch is very wet and lumpy).

Ben Loyal/Hope from summit Beinn Dearg
ImageP1160575 by Al, on Flickr

Am Buaichaille
ImageP1160576 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Riabhach & An Grianan
ImageP1160577 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160578 by Al, on Flickr

Erratic, Sgribhis-bheinn behind
ImageP1160580 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Riabhach
ImageP1160582 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160584 by Al, on Flickr

An Grianan, Loch a'Phuill Bhuidhe
ImageP1160586 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Creag Riabhach
ImageP1160589 by Al, on Flickr

Day 1&2 stats
ImageP1160594 by Al, on Flickr

We wandered to the summit, passing some suspicious sheep and scoping suitable places to pitch finding a flattish dry spot not far from the summit cairn. From here we could see Foinaven and Cranstackie, Kinlochbervie and down towards Scourie. Oh what a beautiful day - sun reflected on a silvery sea. We had our meal, read for a bit, waiting for the sun to start to slip into the sea. That took a long time to happen! Actually, sunset was a good 10 minutes later from up here (at almost 500m) than it had been from sea level the night before. The hillside turned a glorious copper as the sun sank below the waves, leaving some pink afterglow in the northern sky. Fashvan and Sgribhis-bheinn started to gather white blankets for the evening. We retreated to the tent to get some sleep.

Pitch
ImageP1160595 by Al, on Flickr

Foinaven & Arkle
ImageP1160599 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160607 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160610 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160611 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160617 by Al, on Flickr

It was quite a windy night, but the tent was robustly pitched, so I had no concerns. When morning came there was a surprise however - thick clag. The tent was saturated, droplets condensed immediately on clothes and hair and breakfast was less fun than the previous day. We packed up and got the compass out to navigate down to the loch. Navigating banks of bog is difficult enough when you can se where you're going but altogether more challenging in thick fog. We planned to leave our sacks whilst we ascended to the rocky top of An Grianan ("The Sunny Place" ironic, given the weather today) but feared we'd not find them again - so we headed to the loch and left them at the intersection with the Allt. It's a little disconcerting setting off to climb a hill that is less than 500m away and being able to see nothing of it at all, not even a vague outline in the murk. But the compass is a handy tool.

Morning
ImageP1160619 by Al, on Flickr

Climbing An Grianan
ImageP1160622 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160624 by Al, on Flickr

Rocky boulders, a crest of crags and we were at the top. Would have been a fine view point usually, but not today. We descended back to the loch, reunited with our packs and set off uphill again over Meall Dearg and its partner Meall Moine where we stopped for lunch. Glimpses of sun above gave the strong impression we were in a cloud inversion and hopefully it would lift soon. Sure enough as we set off vaguely along the line of the Allt a'Choin Dhuibhe the clag burned off and we were in hot sunshine, which brought a return of the clegs. Every silver lining has a cloud.

An Socach from Meall Moine
ImageP1160627 by Al, on Flickr

It's a long way up to An Socach, our final Marilyn. It's also a complex hill having several summits. We humphed our way to the bealach west of Meall Meadhonach and left our bags as we went to the rocky spur of An Socach, given as 358m on the map. Hmm - there was no cairn, but a cairn to the finger sitting to the south - we went over there and decided the highest point was actually to the north, not named on the map. This is a bald stony summit and close scrutiny of the map reveals one additional contour ring over the named summit of An Socach (not that I'm obsessional or anything - though I did check on Hill-Bagging when we got home and this 362m peak is indeed the summit - just a caution should you venture up this hill). Back to the packs, up Meall Mheadhonach and then time for the final hill of the day - Meall na Moine, with its transmitter mast just before the road. This hill had served as a beacon of hope on that long trek from Foinaven, keeping us right on a difficult day and I felt it fair to climb the hill in return. On the way down from the summit we spotted what appeared to be a large stone wheel - it had a clearly cut out central hole. But what was it doing on the top of a hill? Weird :shock:

ImageP1160632 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160636 by Al, on Flickr

True summit An Socach, An Grianan in backdrop
ImageP1160641 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160646 by Al, on Flickr

Meall na Moine
ImageP1160649 by Al, on Flickr

The long ridge of Cranstackie - one day!
ImageP1160651 by Al, on Flickr

huh?
ImageP1160653 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160654 by Al, on Flickr

Final stata
ImageP1160655 by Al, on Flickr

A final push returned us to the car at around 5pm, hungry but replete with wildness after our three days. What a fine circuit. Would we wild camp somewhere near Balnakeil or go for civilization at Sango Sands? The latter won out (a shower sounded nice) and we pulled into a busy campsite and pitched on sloping but perfectly flat grass and pitched. Proper food was a boon after two days of dried rations (although the onion bhajiis were sporting a few spots of white mould after 3 days in the "cool-box" - didn't adversely affect their taste :lol: Together with a homemade chana masala and some rice and followed by apple pie & custard this was a feast. We chatted to some of the other campers, watched an obsessional NC500er get down on his knees with a rag to clean the 4 exhausts of his Audi S5 and generally enjoyed a bit of sunshine. Later on we walked down to Balnakeil as the sun was setting, all misty and ethereal. Visited the craft village at Balnakeil and spotted a man with his pet wolf - an incredibly beautiful dog which he said was half Wolf, half Malamute. Wow! A peaceful night back at the site, despite being next to the bar.

ImageP1160658 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160662 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160664 by Al, on Flickr

mheadonicx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For Monday I had thought we'd have an easy day and climb Meall Mheadhonach which sits just to the east of Durness with its more shapely partner Beinn Ceannabeinne. Allison fancied a traverse which seemed a better idea than my route up the central track to the bealach. Unfortunately the day was cloudy but we couldn't complain after the weather we'd had thus far. We packed up the tent, left the car at the Tourist Information Centre and walked along the road through Durness towards the ruined settlement of Ceannabeinne. This took us past Smoo Cave. I was struck by just how busy the road (and indeed the village) was - I remember being here in July in the mid 80s and everything being so much quieter. The success of NC500 I suppose. But endless lines of motorhomes can't be much fun for the locals. Anyway we started up the hillside at the top end of the hill and had a pleasant walk up the eastern shoulder of Ceannabeinne, replete with many wildflowers. Raven flew overhead. Ben Loyal was capped by cloud unfortunately. Some of the rocks bore signs of being tormented by huge forces - convoluted upon themselves. I meditated on the kind of power it takes to fold sheets of rock in two.

Our hills for the day
ImageP1160665 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160668 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160671 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160672 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160674 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160677 by Al, on Flickr

Convoluted rock
ImageP1160678 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160679 by Al, on Flickr

Loyal undercover
ImageP1160680 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160681 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160682 by Al, on Flickr

Floating moth (actually it was still alive and was rescued)
ImageP1160683 by Al, on Flickr

Durness
ImageP1160684 by Al, on Flickr

View back to the Cape Wrath hills from summit Ceannabeinne
ImageP1160686 by Al, on Flickr

Reaching the trig on Ceannabeinne the weather began to falter, clag and some drizzle coming in from the sea. We still had a way to go to reach the top of Meall Mheadhonach so set off after lunch down to the bealach and up the slopes of Mheadhonach, initially following an ATV track from the end of the path up the bealach then cutting a more direct line to the craggy top. No views unfortunately. We descended towards the bealach and joined the rough track towards Loch Meadaidh then turning north to hit the road and the car.

Meall Mheadhonach
ImageP1160688 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160693 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160694 by Al, on Flickr

Sands at Durness
ImageP1160695 by Al, on Flickr

3pm - a long drive back awaited. Clag continued to be present until we got past Laxford Bridge - by the time we drove through Assynt we were in glorious sunshine, Sail Garbh, Cul Mor and Suilven all imploring us to stay. I did suggest to Allison that we did just that, but she - unlike me- had work in the morning. We made it home before 10pm, having stopped to cook tea at Ralia. A very fine weekend, so grateful that the weather gave us a chance to enjoy Parph at its best.
Last edited by weaselmaster on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Magnificent Cape Wrath Mountains

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm

What a marathon. And what a feat of planning I think it took us 7 separate outings to do that lot. But were you really keeping your eyes open on Sgribis Bheinn?

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Magnificent right enough :clap: Am never likely to get to these hills but I can see what drew you both up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Sgurr wrote:What a marathon. And what a feat of planning I think it took us 7 separate outings to do that lot. But were you really keeping your eyes open on Sgribis Bheinn?

Now that's the sort of things I expected to see - I did say to Allison I was disappointed to see no actual ordinance, just a few rusty bits of shell casing. Maybe they've been and cleared it all up since you were there, or maybe I am just blind :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 pm

A lot of km and metres ascent to pack into a long weekend there. Some really great looking hills too - Foinaven, Cranstackie.. Loved the waterfall pic also (1160572) - absolutely beautiful. And boy did you have a flora and fauna feast - wonderful! Just a pity it's so frigging far away :( .

Not sure I fancy the bogs though - it sure does look wet on some of the pics. I had my own adventures in a swamp a couple of weekends ago - not so much fun...

sinking.jpg

well, it threatened to end up like this anyway...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Sgionneil .... brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Borderhugh » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 am

What a great read and trip :clap: Just shows there are lots of great adventures to be had in the smaller hills.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

weaselmaster wrote:I did say to Allison I was disappointed to see no actual ordinance,

Yes you did

dictionary wrote: Ordinance = an authoritative order.
synonyms: edict, decree, law, injunction, fiat, command, order, rule, ruling, dictum, dictate, directive, mandate, enactment, statute, act, canon, regulation;

dictionary wrote: ordnance = guns, cannon, artillery, weapons, arms, munitions, military supplies, material
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am

Sgurr wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:I did say to Allison I was disappointed to see no actual ordinance,

Yes you did

dictionary wrote: ordnance = guns, cannon, artillery, weapons, arms, munitions, military supplies, material

I stand corrected - a Late Middle English variant of ordinance has caught me out - I'd never noticed the dropped "i" in the spelling before. I need to pay more attention :clap:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland