walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South UIst snapshot

South UIst snapshot

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Mhór (Uist)

Date walked: 23/07/2017

Time taken: 3.15 hours

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 667m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Mhor 23 July 8.6km 667m 3.15h

The weather report for the far north is fine for this w/e, time to put plan A into action ? The idea is Sunday 1500 ferry to Lochboisdale. Climb Beinn Mor drive to Berneray for 0710 ferry to Leverburgh. To Harris for the B887 and the Grahams of Tiorga Mhor, Oireabhal and Uisgneasbhal Mor, then ferry to Ullapool and Coigach or where ever - all weather dependent. Having booked the hopscotch for route # 28, tour of the Western Isles, I pick them up Sat morning to find I`m on standby for the Mallaig ferry. Eh !? Solution offered “Get there as early as possible”. Hrr. So be there for Sunday morning. My gear`s packed, just the missus to convince and I`m away. Did Glas Charn on the way up. Sleep in the car, sun up 0400 and I`m 2nd in the wait queue, treating yesterdays bite marks with detol cream. Once on board it`s a great sail over to the Uists, seeing the islands and reeling off the names to younger passengers. Off the ferry at 1830 (the weekday sailing gets here for 2100 fine for climbing hills in the dark) to find the waterworks @ 764321. Thro the unlocked gate (my thanks to new SMC book) and drive up to the w/w building. Lite gear, boots t shirt and follow a line of fence posts into Coire Dubh. Cross a burn - heather then grass leads to the slopes of Spin. Pass a small lochan then climb grassy strips between boulders to a ridge. The N side just drops away into Gleann Sheileasdail. Impressive ! As is the trig point. Stunning viewpoint taking in the other hills, the land and sea views. The sun is going down, changes from a golden orb to a sinking red ball. Being there`s only the sea atween us gives me another hour at least. Still there is a haar coming in from the sea, so I take a direct line from the bottom of Spin and arrive back at the w/w. Seaward of the building - a tall standing stone. Known as An Carra, with a height of over 17ft x 4.25ftx 2ft it is the tallest standing stone in all of the Western Isles. Seems to be no marks on it, but dates perhaps to the 3rd millenium BCE. - it is also known as Beinn a` Charra (for the mound it stands below ?) In N Uist, another stone carries the same name so for clarity sake the one at w/w is known now as An Carra. Back at the car, the sun says goodbye as I tag onto a speedy transit driver who zooms us from South to North Uist via Benbecula - over causeways, single track and duel road sections; past villages, lochans and sea inlets until he turned off for Lochmaddy. This was followed by a somewhat saner drive by me, in the dark for the harbour on Berneray island to rest up and sleep.

Seen enroute- plenty buzz around Mallaig and the ferry, little at a sleepy Lochboisdale ( only one point here I could get a phone signal) Noone on my hill, sheep, birds, clouds of flies midges and clegs. I hate the bloody things.

A good day / evening - everything clicked, now for tomorrow.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland