walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harris hello and goodbye

Harris hello and goodbye

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Oireabhal, Tiorga Mor, Uisgneabhal Mor

Date walked: 24/07/2017

Time taken: 9.2 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 2045m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Harris. My initial intention was to loop the three Grahams together using the local bus, but that meant an overnite stay to catch the early Huisinis bus to Tarbert. So a rethink.

North Uist -Berneray. 0400 slept in the car, awake to a brilliant morning. The light here is something else, walk to the wee office for wash and brush up then have something to eat. Ferry`s at 0715 so back to bed for a hour. Dress then stow the gear away. Cloud over the Harris hills, not good. The ferry weaves a passage thro the Harris straits to reach Leverburgh an hour later. Having absorbed the Uist lesson I tuck in behind a female Mini driver and she gies it the wellie until we reach Tarbert by 0850. Getting a signal, I call home, then head for the hills. Turn off for Huinish. Above me soars The Cliseam done years ago with Kenny over a cheap w/e. Bus pass to Uig; two overnites in the hostel; ferry returns , local bus and a timely lift back from the old whaling plant afterwards.

Oireabhal and Tiogra Mor 24th July 13k 1320m 6h
I park at 064073 a small open quarry that I share with sheep. Gear on, the going dry it takes just over a hour to climb the W side of Cleiseabhal and reach its trig point. Food and drink. 22c with a cool breeze, promising. Down N to a col, over a stony Bidigidh to another, then a steep 210m climb for Oireabhal`s cairn. Superb viewpoint over a whole range of hills, plus a new plan. I can still cobble these three together, just need to see how things go. Return to the col then W down the Lag Garbh to cross the dam of Loch Chustair. From grass to rock, then a wee detour to Loch Maolaig @ 330m in a hanging corrie. A wash, foot soak and I`m back to the game. A scramble on good rock leads to a grassy incline then the welcome sight of Tiogra Mor`s trig point. A brief lookabout, then a return to the dam, follow hydro pipes into the Lag Garbh, head S over rock and heather, pass a loch for a 1.5k trek to reach the car. I`m making good time so it`s back to the Eagle watch car park at the Mhiabhaig glen, for……..Uisgneabhal Mhor and Beag 7.5k 725m 3.20h
Along the road to sheep pens, cross fences and fields to gain a broad ridge at a wee lochan. This soon narrows as I climb to find a larger loch behind me. The views get better the higher I go. The Cliseam group on my right and today`s pair on my left. Feeling it now, I switch off until I see the cairn of Uisgneabhal Mhor perched on the cliff edge. Food and drink - on my 3rd ltr of fluid plus sports drinks,but I`ve made it so sit back and take my ease. Feeling I`ve not really done justice to this stunning area, I return by way of the Beag to the bridge and car. Seen enroute no one on the three hills - rod fishers in the lower lochs on hill 1+2. Empty cars @ eagleswatch cp , no eagles but many small birds lizards flies midges and plenty of clegs.
There`s a problem with the spelling of course. My MCS Corbett book of circa 1990 2nd edition gives the English adaption of the names, while now the new maps give the Gaelic. As long as it`s understandable, I suppose it`s OK.
Leave Harris for Lewis and Stornoway - better roads here and more infrastructure. Awesome ferry terminal, topped up at a manned garage that takes cash, where most are automated throughout the Hebrides. Euro money ?

I feel guilty about shorting my visit to the Isles with so many great hills here l could do, but needs must and Stac Polly and the Fiddler calls.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Benaden887 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: Harris hello and goodbye

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 pm

A busy day! Would love to return to this area.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Harris hello and goodbye

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 am

litljortindan wrote:A busy day! Would love to return to this area.

Ditto me, ifn ever I could sqeeze it in.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland