walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Camas Mor

Camas Mor

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Route description: Rubha Reidh and Camas Mor, Melvaig

Date walked: 25/07/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a last minute short break in Ullapool but the weather didn't work out for us on Monday so we had a wander round some of the Traligill caves. I was in one for those for a fair distance about twenty years ago but wasn't sure which one. A good poor weather option though but the midges had their fill on the way up. Rescued by a gentle breeze on the return to the car.
Next morning was drizzly so we took our time over breakfast in the Caledonian. I was trying to think of places to go and could only really decide on heading south and out to the Gairloch road. Passed by the sign for Lael Forest Garden and decided on the spur of the moment to double back there. That turned out to be a good decision as this is great way to spend an hour, visiting the waterfall, looping up through the wood and then zig zagging through the forest garden with its two hundred species of tree.
Next up was a stop off at Ardessie Falls and this was another case of passing by and then doubling back. I'd been impressed by the photos on here of these and thought this would make another good short walk in the still dull weather.
Always uplifting to see a waterfall but to see half a dozen in a small space is a real treat. You have to work a little bit to get to the upper falls with a little bit of bog en route but well worth that small effort. Debated briefly about whether to carry on for the still cloud capped Sail Mhor but the anxiety in my wife's face at the suggestion together with my mildly complaining knee decided matters and then it was off to I knew not where.
I am fairly familiar with the Aultbea area though and thoughts turned to a coastal walk and unfinished business at Rubha Reidh. I'd tried to drive there in December 2002 and managed to get stuck on the private road necessitating an AA rescue but not before I'd had to jog back a kilometre in the snow to the nearest house so that I could use their phone. Mean time one of the vehicle occupants, a wheelchair user, was left shivering at the roadside and slowly turning into a snowwoman. Still speaking though!
So roll forward fifteen years and a much more benign road saw us park just beyond the turn off to the radio mast so that we'd at least get a short walk out to the lighthouse. I'd said to Jill that this would either just be a road walk or a mix of road and headland or just headland not really realising that there was a good path out to Camas Mor too.
The weather was quite summery by now and there were sparkly views across the Minch to be enjoyed along the way. At the lighthouse it became obvious that a continuation east was very much a possibility with a good path leading up over the headland.
Wasn't prepared for the wow factor of Camas Mor though. A plain heathery slope abruptly gives way to an aquamarine bay with an arched sea stack in the foreground and beach, headland, cliffs and beach stretching away in the background. Edging round the cliff top several more sea stacks are revealed at the west end of the bay and we diverted onto a spur to get a better view of these. Thereafter the path follows the curve of the bay with one more spur and a drop down to a burn crossing where it is possible to either detour down to the beach or climb up to the next headland. We went a short way up towards the latter before deciding to about turn.

ImageDSC01572 by John Little, on Flickr
Sithean a' Bhealaich Chumhaing I think.

ImageDSC01576 by John Little, on Flickr
Glamaig prominent.

ImageDSC01579 by John Little, on Flickr
At the lighthouse.

ImageDSC01582 by John Little, on Flickr
Shiants.

ImageDSC01588 by John Little, on Flickr
Improving weather and a good path.

ImageDSC01591 by John Little, on Flickr
Seems quite plain here now but a very fine viewpoint.

ImageDSC01595 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01605 by John Little, on Flickr
More folk following.

ImageDSC01606 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01608 by John Little, on Flickr
A way down to the beach.

ImageDSC01609 by John Little, on Flickr
Happy wife.

ImageDSC01610 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01611 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01612 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01616 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01618 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01620 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01630 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01634 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01636 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01637 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01638 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01641 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01645 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01647 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01659 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01661 by John Little, on Flickr
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Camas Mor

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Perfectly beautiful little cameo :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:100   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Perfectly beautiful little cameo :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks. The beach, sea stacks and sun were a pleasant surprise after having managed to spend so much time under cloud and drizzle on days when there was actually plenty good weather to be had just south of where we'd mostly been.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Sounds like you made the most of the weather anyway. The sea stacks are very impressive, and glad the sun came out for you! Will have to add that one to the list.

We were on Mull for most of last week so had the same weather difficulties. Good for the waterfalls though...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:67   Corbetts:34
Grahams:24   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm

denfinella wrote:Sounds like you made the most of the weather anyway. The sea stacks are very impressive, and glad the sun came out for you! Will have to add that one to the list.

We were on Mull for most of last week so had the same weather difficulties. Good for the waterfalls though...

Definitely worth a visit and worth spending more time there than we were able to.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 pm

We've had quite a few holidays up here some time ago but oddly never got round to walking up past Melvaig - does look an interesting walk - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:08 pm

One of the best cliff walks I've done so far - these stacks are amazing. And water in the sea is so green - like tropics :D

It is possible to descend to the second (larger) beach a bit further along the cliffs, from the ruined croft of Camustrolvaig - there is a path down the grassy slopes.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Looks like a truly special spot, thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 pm

rockhopper wrote:We've had quite a few holidays up here some time ago but oddly never got round to walking up past Melvaig - does look an interesting walk - cheers :)

Same here -New Year in Aultbea in 96/97, 97/98 and 98/99 which were all great with great company, great walks on hills and coast and the odd pint. Camas Mor definitely deserving of more time than we had for it.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm

BlackPanther wrote:One of the best cliff walks I've done so far - these stacks are amazing. And water in the sea is so green - like tropics :D

It is possible to descend to the second (larger) beach a bit further along the cliffs, from the ruined croft of Camustrolvaig - there is a path down the grassy slopes.

Agreed, well for the part we saw at least. Will definitely return for a more extended walk now we know what is there.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Looks like a truly special spot, thanks for sharing.

Yes indeed, some place.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 pm

This looks even better than I expected 8) . I shall definitely remember to include a look over here if I ever go up the adjacent Marilyn - looks like it would be the more interesting part of the walk.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:268
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

malky_c wrote:This looks even better than I expected 8) . I shall definitely remember to include a look over here if I ever go up the adjacent Marilyn - looks like it would be the more interesting part of the walk.

Definitely looks worthy of a more extended visit than we managed.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland