walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Like a straw in the wind

Like a straw in the wind

Postby Driftwood » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 am

Fionas included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Donalds included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Date walked: 24/06/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 490m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was planned as a longer walk, involving one loop to the east then a longer mostly out-and-back stretch through the western Donalds and Tops of the Moorfoot hills. But strong winds seemed to be prevalent across most of Scotland for several days, including the Borders, so there was always the possibility of cutting things short if I felt at risk of being blown across to the Lammermuirs!

I drove a way down the minor road, then back up, before deciding to park in a layby near to the highest point. I'd probably be crossing the road lower down, but this seemed like the best spot to ensure I wasn't getting in anybody's way.
DSCF9489.jpg
Dewar Gill

After a few minutes alongside the road, I turned left through a gate, then past some sheep and almost immediately up Gill Rig by a steep track. This helped "warm up", though I could already feel southwesterly winds pushing at my back.
DSCF9491.jpg
From Eastside Heights

The morning was cloudy , with fair visibility and mostly dry, but the persistent blustery winds made high-level walking tiresome, especially over the tussocky heather-grass covering.
I resorted to a peat hag, during the approach to Windlestraw Law, to shelter for an early lunch snack. Though that was to be followed by more installments, including popping into a cafe in Innerleithen later.
DSCF9496.jpg
Sheltering among the hags

I decided to cut the walk short and leave the remaining part for an easy day at some later date. Though, having gotten this far, I did want to finish at least the eastern circuit rather than giving up completely. So I persisted up the broad, heathery Caddon Head, following a fence line and some occasional ATV tracks.
That brought me to the summit, with views over a lot of the surrounding borders.
DSCF9497.jpg
Windlestraw Law trig point

DSCF9501.jpg
Melrose hills

There were hints of a shower, then the weather brightened, encouraging me to take another short break near the Donald Top of Bareback Knowe. But the winds remained strong - probably not dangerous on these rounded hills, but enough to make walking more effort than enjoyment.
DSCF9503.jpg
Brighter over Whitehope Law

There were a number of mountain hares evident when descending around the flanks of Windlestraw Law. I got very close to one, catching a glimpse of their attempts to hide almost under my feet at the edge of a peaty drop.
DSCF9509.jpg
Descent towards Glentress

There were then some curlew flying and calling quite close during the walk north through pastures and close to the B-road.
DSCF9516.jpg
Curlew in flight

During that return through the pastures and rough grazing, I noticed a sheep stuck in the stock-netting of one fence. After putting on leather gloves, I managed to get close and hold the ewe's curled horns to untangle one of them which was snagged in the wire. The outer layers of that horn were cracked from previous attempts to struggle free, but she bounded away once released.
DSCF9513.jpg
Beside Blackhopebyre Rig

Walking by pastures, then a way by the grass verge, avoided any issues with the occasional cars and cyclists passing. A slight shower started as I returned to the car; the blustery wind continued all day, though was less troublesome lower down.
DSCF9515.jpg
Above the B709

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland