walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Broom pair

Loch Broom pair

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Meall Dubh), Meall Doire Faid

Date walked: 25/07/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1280m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

25th July I`m on the ferry crossing the Minch to reach Ullapool for 0930. The mainland northern hills are shrouded in cloud and the forecast`s not good with dire warnings for later. I hav`nt come this distance to climb in clag, so head up loch Broom for the c/p @ Inverael, prepared to walk in the rain.

Beinn Bhreac or Meall Dubh 14km 660m 4.30h
With my ME jacket in the sac - I take a path to the forest. L turn, over bridge then R to follow the river upstream, ignore turn offs until a bend shows me the ruins of Glensquaib
Forestry clearing here, path splits but I go strait on for a higher track to fence and gate.
Open moor, the clouds lift, the track bends towards the Allt Badan Seasgach - then boggy rising ground to a flat area with lochan and top. Cloud still to the N, while Seana Bhraigh, and the Dearg group are clear. I recall the time, staying at Aultguish, we were dropped off at Lubnach in Strath Vaich for a munro bashing day. From Am Faochagach, Cona` Meall, Beinn Dearg, Ceapraichean, Clach Geala to Seana Bhraigh with a pickup at Invereal in just over 12hrs. Some day. Wish I could do that now. Anyways, back the way I came, this has been another smash an grab trip but enjoyable none the less.

Having no maps for this pair I relied on the text of my new MCS Graham`s book, compass, my capabilities as a mountaineer and the fact that it was a good day. This in no way to be held up as an example.

Meall Doire Faid. 7km 620m 2.5h

Park @ gr 229765 trainers and lite gear. The sun is out and warm, thoughts of Coigach are pushed from my mind as I tackle the hill. Not complex but steep in bits I gain height fast and think I`m at the top when notice a higher top further along the ridge. So another km, down an up for the real top and cairn. Great views of the Fannichs, Fisherfield and An Teallach. While here, Beinns of Dearg and Enaiglair. I could descend N into Coire Leacachein but don`t fancy the grass so return down the way I came.
Seen enroute. Inverael a pair of Munro scoffers learning I was Grahaming
(Come wi us an dae a real hill.) I just smiled, for eons ago that guy was me. Birds and insects
on both hills. Guy heading for the Fannichs @ hill 2
I can`t complain, didn`t do all I wanted to, but more than enough to keep me happy. Weather was fine, The Isles just magic, so cut a stick when you see it - and another corner off my Grahams map

Now for home.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland