walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

This Fiddler knocks out a very Fyne tune indeed!

This Fiddler knocks out a very Fyne tune indeed!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Date walked: 30/06/2017

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 840m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the wet affair the previous day on Ben Donich, Friday morning had dawned altogether more dry and bright. I briefly contemplated going back for The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich, and also considered driving round to Lochgoilhead to do Beinn Bheula but the clearest skies looked to be more to the north so I settled on Binnein an Fhidleir, the long ridge that runs along the north side of lower Glen Kinglas above the A83.

I parked up at the huge, muddy parking area at Butterbridge next to a few lorries who appeared to have been in for the night and headed across the road into the fenced off plantation beyond, before taking a more or less due north line up through the crags on the brutally steep ascent.

I was puffing and panting and shedding layers in no time, but it was still a fine way to be spending a Friday morning and the first full day of the summer holidays.

My line of ascent took me round the far side of the summit crags and onto the long north east ridge between the 817m Corbett summit and the 748m spot to the north east. From here it was a short pull up to the summit and the start of the glorious high level promenade along to the 811m trig point almost 2km further west.

I returned back to the bealach on a lower line, skirting to the north of the summit before heading out to the 748m spot from where I dropped down to the big shed in upper Glen Kinglas for the walk back to the car.

IMG_6628_zps9h4fs5h7.JPG
Beinn an Lochain from the plantation gate

IMG_6636_zpsmurc5ai3.JPG
I like your stile!

IMG_6640_zpsuvqpqymc.JPG
Ben Donich between Beinn Luibhean and Beinn an Lochain

IMG_6643_zps5x5mgp8m.JPG
Sunshine on Lochain

IMG_6644_zpsnqjlby9o.JPG
Stiff old ascent

IMG_6645_zpsucfovywk.JPG
Beinn an Lochain framed by Ben Donich on the left and Beinn an t-Seilich and Stob an Eas to the right

IMG_6646_zpsngf1jmnd.JPG
The Cobbler peaking up between Ime and Luibhean

IMG_6647_zpsu1u4bvmy.JPG
North ridge of Beinn an Lochain rising above Loch Restil

IMG_6648_zpslu8i3kbp.JPG
Five Corbetts

IMG_6650_zpsmomioegm.JPG
Wisps of cloud toying with the summit of Beinn Ime

IMG_6651_zpscatel1t3.JPG
Across upper Glen Kinglas to a cloud laden Ben Vorlich

IMG_6653_zpskyviwust.JPG
Beinn Buidhe to the north

IMG_6656_zpszcemnaq3.JPG
Wonderful view south from the summit

IMG_6657_zpsfdubhns4.JPG
West along the ridge and Loch Fyne beyond

IMG_6665_zpsqh6ykcme.JPG
Cloud still annoying Ime

IMG_6666_zpskxmybney.JPG
Beinn an Lochain and friends

IMG_6668_zps76xx4ask.JPG
The 811m top

IMG_6669_zpse2w1pof8.JPG
Beinn an t-Seilich and Stob an Eas

IMG_6672_zpsloymjd9s.JPG
East back along the ridge to the summit

IMG_6674_zpsvle7klg7.JPG
Loch Fyne from the trig point

IMG_6675_zpspri8i40e.JPG
Arrochar Munros

IMG_6676_zpsmvfzqk5r.JPG
Ben Vorlich still with a big white woolly hat on

IMG_6687_zpshngwpzuz.JPG
Homeward bound in upper Glen Kinglas with Beinn an Lochain ahead

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland