walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via Ledge Route

Ben Nevis via Ledge Route

by Cairngorm creeper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 24/07/2017

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 1638m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Nevis via Ledge Route

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 am

Sick Kid wrote:Ooohhhhhhh....that looks seriously good! :D :D :D
Been wanting to do one of the scrambles on Nevis for ages but want a day like you had :wink:

It was seriously good :D :D :lol: , worthy use of a good weather day :lol: .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:25 pm

A gripping, edge of the seat, nail-biting drama! That looks and sounds slightly scary in parts but you both seem to take those obstacles in your stride. I've had "stuck" moments on descent of Sgurr nan Gillean's west ridge, on a winter ascent of Bruach na Frithe when a crampon came off and when finding it difficult to reverse a scramble in Norway and I didn't enjoy any of them.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:34 am

Great stuff great pics. That was a cracking day and I had planned to do a very similar route on the ben that very same day but ended up in Glencoe. I plan to be up there soon.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 pm

litljortindan wrote:A gripping, edge of the seat, nail-biting drama! That looks and sounds slightly scary in parts but you both seem to take those obstacles in your stride.

Did you mean a real cliff hanger :lol: :lol: I am getting a little braver but still easily excited hence the drama :lol:
litljortindan wrote:I've had "stuck" moments on descent of Sgurr nan Gillean's west ridge, on a winter ascent of Bruach na Frithe when a crampon came off and when finding it difficult to reverse a scramble in Norway and I didn't enjoy any of them.

They sound genuinely very scary moments.

Sunset tripper wrote:Great stuff great pics. That was a cracking day and I had planned to do a very similar route on the ben that very same day but ended up in Glencoe. I plan to be up there soon.
All the best. :D

Thank you, it was a good day to be up there, but would have happily shared it with you :D We were on the CMD arete yesterday and met a few people coming down from Ledge Route all of whom seemed to have really enjoyed it
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Great route, nicely photographed. I have been up here 3 or 4 times now, but always missed out the harder variant low down. My preference is to combine it with the Carn Mor Dearg arête for one of the best days out on the Ben that you can have (although I'm sure many climbers will disagree and suggest their preferred route instead!).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 pm

malky_c wrote:Great route, nicely photographed. I have been up here 3 or 4 times now, but always missed out the harder variant low down. My preference is to combine it with the Carn Mor Dearg arête for one of the best days out on the Ben that you can have (although I'm sure many climbers will disagree and suggest their preferred route instead!).

Thanks Malky, It was the best day we have had on The Ben (not that we have succeeded on any of the harder North Face routes :lol: ). Our one regret was not to have started at the North Face carpark and combined it with the CMD arête but will definately do this next time.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby onsen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 am

Ooo aah, I like the look of that route....my heart's beating faster just
looking at your pics.
Weather gods on the day were definitely smiling down on you.
Thanks for sharing.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 pm

onsen wrote:Ooo aah, I like the look of that route....my heart's beating faster just
looking at your pics.
Weather gods on the day were definitely smiling down on you.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes weather gods were in a. Unusually good mood :lol: Glad you enjoyed the report and hope you get to try the route one day, the photos barely did it justice.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Just going to bump this report from last year. A fantastic route. That first ledge that you missed is a horrible greasy thing and sloping the wrong way. :shock:

This route is a far better start to the ridge across the top of No. 5 gully looks impossible from a distance but a great mountain path in an amazing setting surrounded by titanic walls. I did the same route as this on Tuesday apart from I started from the North Face car park.
Cheers. :D
Sunset tripper

27 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland