walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby JimboJim » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 20/07/2017

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1130m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hooked up with Big Jesper and Lawrence, recently acquired pal from south of the Clyde, for these two hills, south of the South Glen Shiel Ridge. Alas, it was to work out a bit like our recent trip, to the three on the north side of Loch Cluanie, i.e., we got there too soon! The forecast was for it to clear about midday, but by then we were well round. We had thoughts about also doing either, Sgurr a'Mhaoraich or, Gairich, but eventually that idea also fizzled out, along with the cloud.
CC 159_576_768.JPG
Today's team.

We started off for Spidean Mialach in heavy cloud, from a car park a bit uncertain as to whether we were in the right spot and likewise, we missed the stalkers path, but headed off the road, taking a rough track up to a mini hydro scheme, which I think joins onto the stalker's path, mentioned on WH's, higher up? At least it made for good progress as Big Jesper and the greyhound, known as Lawrence, left wee Jimbo in their wake :lol: The road ends at a wee dam where we crossed the Allt Coire Mheil, onto a rough track, over some squidgy ground.

By now there was light rain/smirr, a wee breeze and visibility sometime down to 30 yards, or so. Loch Fearna, was not to be seen and we wandered off track a few times, but always quickly found it, or remnants of it, as it steadily began to rise, onto stonier ground, then the summit cairn, pops into view, at 996m, after an hour and a half. We could sense the steep drop off to the north side, but see none of it. Time for some grub, a drink and photo, but that was that.
Spidean Mialach 001_1024_768.JPG
Summit of Spidean Mialach. Anyone recognise their bunnet? :)
Spidean Mialach 007_1024_768.JPG
Me & Big Jesper on the summit of Spidean Mialach.
Spidean Mialach 008_1024_768.JPG
Jaf and Lawrence, 1st summit.
Spidean Mialach 018_1024_768.JPG
It goes down steeply, but not willing to try for a closer look.

We soon set off, along the ridge, any significant glimpse's of which, were only to prove all too fleeting. One, or two steeper steps to climb, just about requiring a hand, or two on rock, but nothing troubling. After a couple of false dawn's
we made the summit of Geouraich, on the three hour mark, just about time for the cloud to start lifting, according to the Met Office. Sure enough, the forecast began to come true and views of the South Glenshiel Ridge, Glen Quoich and Sgurr a'Mhaoraich and Loch Quoich, began to emerge.
Spidean Mialach 022_1024_768.JPG
Jaf, at the summit cairn of Gleouraich. Still caught in the clag.
Spidean Mialach 024_1024_768.JPG
Me and Charles. Gleouraich, 1035m.
Spidean Mialach 026_1024_768.JPG
Lawrence, on the second munro.
Spidean Mialach 030_1024_768.JPG
Ten minutes later the cloud begins to clear. Looking over Druim Seilleach, where a fine path takes one up, or down.
Spidean Mialach 031_1024_768.JPG
Alltbeithe. Looking like a bit of a city centre junction.
Spidean Mialach 033_1024_768.JPG
Sgurr a'Mhaoraich looks quite interesting.
Spidean Mialach 038_1024_670.JPG
Some of the hills of the South Glen Shiel Ridge, also come into view.
Spidean Mialach 039_1024_686.JPG
Looking down on Glen Quoich, toward Sgurr a'Mhaoraich.
Spidean Mialach 041_1024_672.JPG
Glen Quoich Bridge.
Spidean Mialach 044_1024_768.JPG
Jasper pointing out the views?

The stalker's path off Druim Seilleach ridge was a much more pleasurable part of the walk, as we began to see the course we had followed and the drama of the surrounding sights, particularly west to Sgurr na Ciche, which eventually revealed itself, before we reached the bottom of the track, which finally emerges onto the road, after a very muddy, claustrophobic trip through a narrow gap in thick rhododendron bushes, back at the car in about 4 and a quarter hours.
CC 164_576_768.JPG
Heading down, with Loch Quoich behind.
Spidean Mialach 046_1024_667.JPG
Some sort of view of the ridge, as we make our descent.
Spidean Mialach 048_1024_652.JPG
Nice view toward the west end of Loch Quoich.
Spidean Mialach 050_1024_641.JPG
Ariel view of Glen Quoich Bridge.
Spidean Mialach 051_1024_705.JPG
A closer look.
Spidean Mialach 054_1024_725.JPG
Jaf and Lawrence. The Corbett, Sgurr an Fhuarain and Munro, Sgurr Mor, behind.
Spidean Mialach 056_1024_649.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche begins to clear.
Spidean Mialach 057_1024_719.JPG
SnC.
Spidean Mialach 061_1024_652.JPG
Sgurr an Fhuarain and Sgurr Mor.
Spidean Mialach 064_1024_650.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche, eventually shows face, as we near the bottom.

As said, we deliberated options of squeezing another munro, into our day, but my wee legs weren't up for it and the others perhaps, were hastened into calling it a day, by the steady harassment of our good friends, the midges, who never miss the chance of an easy feed. At least we headed home, with a few good views to recall, though I had been looking forward to a spectacular on these hills. A good excuse to return, wouldn't you say? :D
Last edited by JimboJim on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby katyhills » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 pm

What a shame JJim. At least it cleared a bit on the way down. Hope you get a chance to go back on a better day. I did these quite a number of years ago, and it was a glorious day - sorry!
I don't remember an awful lot about it, though I do recall the rhodies and the walk back down, but the views are certainly terrific across to the Glen Shiel ridge and down to the bridge.

P5020292 (640x480).jpg

P5020281 (640x479).jpg

Aach - those blue skies are overrated anyway.... :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Two quality hills these, shame about the weather. I just won't mention the cracker I got on Gairich the day before! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby JimboJim » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Thank you, Katy and Graeme. My nose feels rather sore. Must be from all the "rubbing in," from you pair :lol: Very jealous, as I had been most impressed by these hills when viewed from the SGR a year earlier. A couple of hours later and we'd have had clear skies, I'm sure. Never mind. We've had our fair share of good days on the hills and if the chance arises, I'd be happy to revisit these pair on a fine day. :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby katyhills » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 pm

[quote="JimboJim"]Thank you, Katy and Graeme. My nose feels rather sore. Must be from all the "rubbing in," from you pair :lol:

:wink:

At least you've kept your sense of humour :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am

Just to rub it in a bit more........

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61873

Sorry, that wisnae very nice! :wink:

As you say, you get good days and bad, but they're always there for a revisit! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland