walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach nan Dheiragain

Mullach nan Dheiragain

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach na Dheiragain

Date walked: 20/07/2017

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1632m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having ran the previous day and deciding we were going to take the day off we woke to a view of rain and cloud... back to bed...
We slept some more then had breakfast. It seemed to be clearing and actually the afternoon/evening forecast was ok.
So....
Do you fancy just going to Killian and sussing out the road?
Yes. Let's do that.
So, we did that.
Do you fancy cycling to Iron Bridge and sussing that out?
Yes. Let's do that.
But if we do that we might as well just try and do Mullach na Dheiragain?
Good point- ok, let's just do it.
So, at 12.30, we set off on bike up to Iron Bridge.
Great track, actually road, for about a third till the last house then it's reasonable track all the way to Iron Bridge- 8 miles after starting: 1 hour 20 mins later.
From the map- 4km in and 4km out. No probs!
One comment. The last thing I expected was to go up to the Iron Bridge house, which was abandoned, and see a person peer back at me and say 'hello'!! But they did!!
Steep zig zag track up before a gradual track till we left that track and fully expected to put rubble sacks over our boots and wade through a few streams... but no..... BRIDGES had been built! Fantastic.
Boggy at first we then Followed a better track before it petered out and we realised that now we had to just head straight up almost 2,000 feet of steep steep grass, heather and boulders till we reached the Ridge.
I'm not going to lie. There were a few times in this that I really doubted my love of the great outdoors. It wasn't pleasant. It certainly wasn't!t fun but eventually we got to the top. That was good however the main thought was - we have to go back down that!!
Never mind. For now we had the top to do.
We followed a bit of a path to the Mullach Sithidh (974m) before the short drop and the last pull up to the top.
Mullach na Dheiragain (982m).
Around us were the mountains of Affric, Mullardaroch's and even over to Skye however the sunny evening that was forecast failed to make an appearance .... so we headed back.
The way up was way to steep to descent so we went a bit further and found a marginally better descent, but it was still a long way down in such a short distance and name path.
Back on the track we made haste across the bridges to resume the main track back to be reunited with our bikes at Iron Bridge. It was clear we were going to be longer and therefore later than we thought. Would the campsite at Morvich let us in after 9.00pm??
Return journey by bike took an hour. We had already discussed tactics: Andrea was in charge of inside Moby whilst I would regain myself in midge cladding and sort bikes and do all the outdoor stuff.
All went to plan and we were soon on our way.... but the gates were already closed!!
REALLY!!
8.30pm!!
Image[/url]
So begins a very long day: Killian
Red box marks the start.
ImageImage
Loch na Leitreach
OK ladies. Can we discuss safe passage?Image
OK. Maybe not!
ImageImage[/url]
8 miles later: Iron Bridge
Looking back doon the valley
ImageImage
A bridge! Excellent.
Cairn marks ... something.
Steep. Very very steep.
Image[/url]
Done!
Mullach na Dheiragain (982m)
Heading back -Mullach na Dheiragain behind
The long way back
Decent off Mullach na Dheiragain- slightly better
Mullach na Dheiragain - a toughy!
The track back to Killian
Now THAT is a STRAVA relief profile!

Next day.....
Gift shop. Dornie
Brilliant. Sad. But brilliant nevertheless.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland