walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick nip up & down Meall Chuaich

A quick nip up & down Meall Chuaich

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 02/08/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 615m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The travelling home day (Sunday) of the WH meet and after looking at Martin's blue balloons I noticed a nice easy balloon. I was last up this hill in 2011 and with the help of my bike it was one of the much easier hills.
I had briefed Martin and George that we would be away by 8am, as it turned out we left well before that. We headed down the single track road to Altnahara and then Lairg, we decided to make a pit stop at Dobbies, this time for a bacon roll.
We parked in the layby and were soon on our way.
The weather forecast was a bit vague but as it turned out we were once again very lucky. The walk in to the base of the hill is easy along a very good track that is used by traffic for maintaining the Hydro power station.
Whilst ambling along the track we were mulling over the goings on at the meet along with one or two other topics.
I remember the lower part of the ascent being a bit boggy, however after the lack of rain in the Dalwhinnie area there weren't any patches that tried to make my boots wet.
There are umpteen paths heading in all directions so it can be very easy to be led astray, as we found out on the way down.
Ascent was easy certainly compared to Ben Loyal and after a couple of stops we reached the large summit area. On the summit we met a group of 3 adults and a couple of children and we were soon chatting. When we said we had been to Tongue they guessed we were off here, the children had climbed Schiehallion at the little persons gathering organised by Martin a few years ago - small world.
After our brief chat we set off on the descent and it wasn't long before we were back on the track heading back to the car.
Meall Chuaich is a good wee hill that offers good views, big thanks again to Martin and George for being great company :clap: :clap:

Next for me may be a visit to Glencoe :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A quick nip up & down Meall Chuaich

Postby dibs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for the report Martin, this was a good blow out from the previous nights beer and kept the legs moving from what was 3 consecutive days walking. Another good day on the hills with the two Martin's :wink:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland