walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich, rain and pies

Ben Vorlich, rain and pies

Postby little S » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 29/07/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was Scotland at its finest. Persisting rain driven sideways by the wind was drumming on the synthetic fabric of our outdoor clothing. We climbed with heads down, rain water dripping off our hoods an inch from our faces. Water that ran off the shoulders of our waterproof jackets accumulated at the end of each sleeve. I was marking new territory with mighty farts. They thundered close to the surface each one amplified by the vastness of the surrounding slopes. It felt liberating to announce my presence to the landscape, greenery, wildlife, fellow scramblers, God... I am sure Laura wouldn`t agree.

Some might have thought us a little crazy, leaving the comfort of the house in the morning with prospect of rain and sweat. But we were not alone. The well distinguished path from the car park to the summit, described by a local shop owner as a motorway, was bustling with people despite less than favorable conditions. After initial shot of Tatra Tea we turned our backs to the dark waters of Loch Earn and started what was to be the main climb of the day.

Yes, the rain started not long after we set off but the warm pies in our backpacks and enough Tatra Tea left in my leather bound flask formed a vision of reward worth pursuing. Tatra Tea was made for wet, miserable days outdoors like this one. Or any other day. And for the pies....well, I tend to believe that everything tastes better on a hill. Loch Earn kept reappearing from the grey shroud until we gained enough altitude for the cloud to swallow us completely.

Once on the summit exposed to the wind Laura claimed she was going home. Even before she had a pie and a victorious shot. Stuc a' Chroin will have to wait until next time.
little S
Rambler

Munros:56   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland