walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

by Jaxter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Route description: Ben Loyal

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Spionnaidh, Ben Loyal, Canisp, Cranstackie, Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill

Date walked: 29/07/2017

Time taken: 24.5 hours

Distance: 67.01 km

Ascent: 3979m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

Postby simon-b » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 pm

A great area, J, and a familiar one, having recently got back from Altnaharra (between Tongue and Lairg) myself. I'm glad you got the views from Loyal - my experience there was similar to yours on the Cranstackie 2. But like you I had a good day on MLC Mhic Dhughaill, and great walks on some others around there. Overall, you seem to have had a pretty successful trip.

I agree, the North of Scotland is magnificent, but did you notice the dwindling numbers of both deer and sheep, and just how long the grass is getting? That was particularly noticeable on the steep slog up and down Loyal in wet conditions, and the ground is becoming more difficult to move over for both recreational walkers and people who work on that land. It also means that fire hazard sign you photographed could be applied to the whole region if all that ungrazed vegetation has a long dry spell. But these matters don't stop this from being a beautiful place.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:08 pm

simon-b wrote:A great area, J, and a familiar one, having recently got back from Altnaharra (between Tongue and Lairg) myself. I'm glad you got the views from Loyal - my experience there was similar to yours on the Cranstackie 2. But like you I had a good day on MLC Mhic Dhughaill, and great walks on some others around there. Overall, you seem to have had a pretty successful trip.

I agree, the North of Scotland is magnificent, but did you notice the dwindling numbers of both deer and sheep, and just how long the grass is getting? That was particularly noticeable on the steep slog up and down Loyal in wet conditions, and the ground is becoming more difficult to move over for both recreational walkers and people who work on that land. It also means that fire hazard sign you photographed could be applied to the whole region if all that ungrazed vegetation has a long dry spell. But these matters don't stop this from being a beautiful place.

It's a lovely area 8) I hadn't really thought about the grass to be honest. I guess I assumed it was just wilder up north :lol: It's nice in some ways, even if it does make it tricky :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 pm

I missed this report until now, I see I've already done Ben Loyal, so there is no need to go back up there 😂😂😂
You had some great days on superb hills, some wonderful photos and a lot of fun was had I see😂😂
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland