walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seemed a good idea but how not to climb Carn Dearg (Alder)

Seemed a good idea but how not to climb Carn Dearg (Alder)

by dogplodder » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack)

Date walked: 02/08/2017

Distance: 32 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Seemed a good idea but how not to climb Carn Dearg (Alde

Postby simon-b » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

That's a fine adventure, DP, the area to the north of the North Alder range is an interesting place.

dogplodder wrote:...assuming a path on the map would be a path on the ground.

A path on your map should also be a path on the Ardverikie and Ben Alder estates' maps. So probably the right place to be during the stalking season, whether visible on the ground or not.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Some great photos here so well worth the effort - we're having a 'cautious' summer too, where target hills somehow remain unsummitted at the end of the day :roll: :roll:

I've managed a string of new Corbetts but new Munros have been harder to come by this year! :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Sgurr wrote:No, you are not the only one to do daft things. With rain coming (like you) we abandoned our plan to do a wide zig out and a wide zag back to Trum y Ddysgll and found ourselves imagining we could save time by only going one side of the triangle which saw us on the Nantlle ridge in wind and rain and getting to a point where we didn't trust ourselves to go back, so had to go on....and that was only just over a week ago. Compared with that, what you did seems a model of caution, Glad you all reunited. I can't believe the midges were so ferocious in that level of sun...well, I can, that's why we went to Wales.

Far too sunny for midges to be so busy. Clearly hadn't read the manual. :evil:
dogplodder

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Pretty good decision making all round I'd say since you all three got a decent walk and met up fine towards the end. Beyond me at the moment but a good reminder of a grand area that I haven't been to.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 pm

simon-b wrote:That's a fine adventure, DP, the area to the north of the North Alder range is an interesting place.

dogplodder wrote:...assuming a path on the map would be a path on the ground.

A path on your map should also be a path on the Ardverikie and Ben Alder estates' maps. So probably the right place to be during the stalking season, whether visible on the ground or not.

Good point and worth remembering. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

litljortindan wrote:Pretty good decision making all round I'd say since you all three got a decent walk and met up fine towards the end. Beyond me at the moment but a good reminder of a grand area that I haven't been to.

Came home feeling I'd messed up.... but your assessment sounds much better. :thumbup:
dogplodder

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland