walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fruit Hill - Bring your Wellies

The Fruit Hill - Bring your Wellies

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Fruin

Date walked: 07/08/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 361m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

fruit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I fancied another hill this week - Allison had a day off today and I sent her a text from work asking if she was up for a wee hill. I suggested several nearby Sub-2000s and The Fruin was "corrected" by my phone to read "Fruit Hill". So it shall remain for the duration of this report. We left Greenock for Baile Eilidh at lunchtime with a forecast for heavy showers until 6pm, which was helpful. I'd drawn a quick route using the John Muir Way and parking at Hill House, which I thought we could visit afterwards. The Way is accessed straight from the back of the largish parking area beside Hill House and leads through pretty oak and birch woods. Some of the oaks look very old indeed. At a junction we took a right and passed some forestry before heading up over wet hillside. And I mean wet. Long grass quickly resulted in wet trousers and it was very squelchy underfoot - a mere shadow of what was to come :lol:

Leaving Hill House
ImageP1160828 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160829 by Al, on Flickr

Steam Train in Helensburgh
ImageP1160830 by Al, on Flickr

Up the hillside
ImageP1160831 by Al, on Flickr

Seaplane
ImageP1160833 by Al, on Flickr

The Luss Hills
ImageP1160835 by Al, on Flickr

We made for the transmitter mast and reached the top of Tom na h-Airidh. The weather's been kinder than forecast but it looks quite a long way to the flattish summit of The Fruin, maybe 1.5km. Over tussocky and wet ground. The terrain coming from Tom na h-Airidh has at one point been forestry but a long time ago as the stumps are hidden under a blanket of heather and moss, all that's left are the ditches which would have been either side of the trees, overgrown like old Great War trenches. We cross the rusty barbed wire fence and follow the fence line towards the summit. This is really wet - although in most places not deeper than the ankles. Once your feet are wet it doesn't really matter about them getting wetter. However some of the peaty ground is so springy that I imagine what would happen if you fell through the solid layer- never be seen again.

Top of Tom na h-Airidh
ImageP1160836 by Al, on Flickr

Sunny Gourock with Arran beyond
ImageP1160839 by Al, on Flickr

The Fruit summit
ImageP1160841 by Al, on Flickr

Typical of the ground
ImageP1160842 by Al, on Flickr

As I reach the summit cairn the rain arrives - I've watched it sweep in from the north, shrouding the fine Grahams over to the right. Allison arrives - I welcome her to the summit and she remarks that The Fruit is a currant of a hill. At least that's what I think she said :wink: We retrace our steps through the mire, the rain goes off and there's some sunshine to dry off wet clothes.

ImageP1160845 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160846 by Al, on Flickr

Back at the car there's still time to head into Hill House - unfortunately we arrive just as a large group of Italians are paying in. Slowly. At £10.50 for an adult the admission fee is somewhat steep, but the house is impressive, if troubled by damp damage.

Hill House
ImageP1160847 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160848 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160849 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160854 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160867 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160868 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1160870 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: The Fruit Hill - Bring your Wellies

Postby denfinella » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Hmm... might save that one until the ground is a bit drier. Surprised they let you into Hill House after that :wink:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:42 pm

I did the Fruin from the opposite side...............equally as boggy :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm

PeteR wrote:I did the Fruin from the opposite side...............equally as boggy :lol:

Ditto, but in snow that concealed the holes, but unfrozen so that we fell into them. Much preferred the nearby Bowie that we did just after the news of his death broke.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland