walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The far north, Balnakeil and Co

The far north, Balnakeil and Co

Postby apollo0815 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Route description: Faraid Head, Durness

Date walked: 11/05/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After climbing Stac Polly the day before, I made plans to visit the north coast again. I just love that road up to Durness from Lochinver( not using the coastal bend today).
We arrived at Balnakeil quite early , but nearly not early enough, parking was already quit crowded

The church ruin and the graveyard are as nice as ever

Two of the ghosts of the graveyard were moving along the beach.

But maybe they were just walkers:) As my Mum stated: The Scots always choose the nicest locations for their graveyards. I heartily agree, knowing some other places like the one on the west of Tongue.
We moved ahead on our way to Faraid Head
Looking back to Balnakeil

Some beach shots.

The "sandy" road ahead through the dunes.

Dune Landscape, just waiting for the sandworms to appear :)
A View to the Head
Pano shot, same location.

We were alone for most of the time, the weather was very scottish today, it was windy, sometimes sunny, always some dark clouds looming in the distance
Dark rocks were looming in the sea:)
The view back to the observation station.
View in the direction of Durness.
Sand structures.
Darkness approaching time to get somewhere nice
Somewhere nice with empty buckets, formerly containing hot chocolate.
After thoroughly exploring the craft village we moved over to Smoo Cave, which was very dry at this time of the year, the waterfall into the cave was just a drizzle.

Moving on, we went around Loch Eriboll, first intention was to get the Clearance village in Rosal, but it was getting late, so we turned right onto the very small single track passing Ben Hope on the way.
Looking across some very lonely landscape.

Back at Lochinver, we were greeted by some Monty-Pythonish god impersonation :)
SInce I don't know which one is better I included both the BW and the colour version

View from the Viewpoint in Culag Woods, on a nice evening Stroll after Dinner, this time at Peet's
And of course the most famous landmark in Lochinver.

to be continued .....soon :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland