walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cuillins in 3 days - no guide required

The Cuillins in 3 days - no guide required

by Mountainlove » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Alasdair

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 22/07/2017

Time taken: 31.5 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 4000m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Cuillins in 3 days - no guide required

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Wow, that's how to do them in style! Impressive, especially without a day off! One of the good things about the Cuillin is that once you're on the ridge, the ups and downs don't hurt too much, as you're too engaged (scared!) to worry about aching legs (and arms!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Epic!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Brilliant :clap: One of the best reports I have read of the Cuillins. I am in awe of your bravery, especially the on down climb :crazy: We are working through the routes on Skye under own steam but making somewhat more use of the rope on the harder Scrambles :lol:

Oh thank you so much! Glad that you are doing the Cuillins as well...I feel that I have waited far too long with doing them. :D

Mal Grey wrote:Wow, that's how to do them in style! Impressive, especially without a day off! One of the good things about the Cuillin is that once you're on the ridge, the ups and downs don't hurt too much, as you're too engaged (scared!) to worry about aching legs (and arms!)

Haha I so agree...the pain comes so much later than on 'normal' hills. But thats also one of the great things about the ridge. :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mamoset » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Got to be TR of the month, well done. Great pics, gives a good insight to what awaits (if I ever get up there!! :lol: )
Good luck on the final 5 too :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Some luck to get 3 days in a row like that!

I remember thinking I would take a similar approach to the Black Cuillin - 2 weekends should cover all of the Munros. In the end it took me 5 years and umpteen visits, although it was mostly good fun :lol: .

Great report :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 am

With this report you must have caused more envious thoughts than practically any other! A great weather day on the Cuillins, yes.... But 3 consecutive brilliant days...???? You must have bribed somebody... :roll:

Ah, but I can endlessly ogle pics of this wonderful ridge - ain't it just the best...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:17 am

Good stuff ML - you enjoyed that, didn't you!!
Was nice to see photos of some of the sections that I remember traversing in horrible rain & clag to find out what they actually look like. The weather certainly added to your enjoyment - not such fun when the rock is slippy & treacherous.
I suspect you are going to be visiting Skye a few more times now :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Ibex » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Absolutely awesome report. Fantastic pictures as well.

This is some achievement to do all the Cuillins in 3 days, especially without a guide.
Sounds like you did well to keep going, after two 12+ hour days as well. Starting the day with sore legs is hard at times, but goes off after a while. Hope you and Craig drank plenty of well deserved beer over there.

I've heard all about the Gabbro rock, but not encountered it yet. Had a good laugh at the washing up gloves. Whatever works!
See you only have 2 do do now as well. So close to the end!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby hopper68 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Excellent report, gives me a good idea of what i am getting myself into in 4 weeks time ...cheers
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

malky_c wrote:Some luck to get 3 days in a row like that!
I remember thinking I would take a similar approach to the Black Cuillin - 2 weekends should cover all of the Munros. In the end it took me 5 years and umpteen visits, although it was mostly good fun :lol: .
Great report :D

5 years :shock: wow thats quite some time...but having fun is the most important thing and you managed to get them done in the the end :D

Alteknacker wrote:With this report you must have caused more envious thoughts than practically any other! A great weather day on the Cuillins, yes.... But 3 consecutive brilliant days...???? You must have bribed somebody... :roll:
Ah, but I can endlessly ogle pics of this wonderful ridge - ain't it just the best...???

Totally agree about the amazing ridge! About the weather yes that was lucky...although I literally kept 2 months free in order to go when the weather was right 8)

weaselmaster wrote:Good stuff ML - you enjoyed that, didn't you!!
Was nice to see photos of some of the sections that I remember traversing in horrible rain & clag to find out what they actually look like. The weather certainly added to your enjoyment - not such fun when the rock is slippy & treacherous.
I suspect you are going to be visiting Skye a few more times now :wink:

Cant even imagine how the ridge must have been in bad weather...saying that it gives you an incentive to go back in good weather...I will for sure!!

Ibex wrote:Absolutely awesome report. Fantastic pictures as well.

This is some achievement to do all the Cuillins in 3 days, especially without a guide.
Sounds like you did well to keep going, after two 12+ hour days as well. Starting the day with sore legs is hard at times, but goes off after a while. Hope you and Craig drank plenty of well deserved beer over there.
I've heard all about the Gabbro rock, but not encountered it yet. Had a good laugh at the washing up gloves. Whatever works!
See you only have 2 do do now as well. So close to the end!

Many thanks!! Gabbro is amazing, I am sure you will like it when you encounter it! Drink was kept to rather low quantities due to being too knackered most of the time... :lol:

hopper68 wrote:Excellent report, gives me a good idea of what i am getting myself into in 4 weeks time ...cheers

Hope you will have a fantastic time when you go!! Autumn should hopefully amazing weather wise (I am hoping so anyway)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks for this inspiring report, I would never dare to move in that terrain, like you do. But there are a lot of things I would not do, that you did, ( walking straight up Ben Nevis from the car park at the end of Glen nevis is certainly one of that things)

And by the way: Congrats on compleating, without telling anyone or issuing a report :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland