walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro One Hundred and Fifty Five

Munro One Hundred and Fifty Five

Postby Chris Henshall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn

Date walked: 31/07/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday, 31st. July, 2017:
Having walked south from the western end of Loch Monar on Sunday, Chalky, Tommy and I had intended to push on towards Affric and camp - but the persistent heavy showers meant that the abandoned house (and fireplace) at Carnach gave us a much needed chance to dry out so, putting aside worries about asbestos, we took it. The house is in a truly beautiful location and is relatively modern - but a broken window and open door meant that it was fouled with sheep droppings inside the entrance and we had to clear out a dead bird from the main upstairs room. This seems such a waste as another few years of neglect will see the house derelict unless the owner of the estate (or someone like the MBA or the YHA) steps in to save it; even conversion to a holiday cottage would be better than the fate that currently awaits it.
Day 4b - Chalky and Tommy drying out in the abandoned house at Carnach.JPG
Chalky and Tommy drying out in the abandoned house at Carnach
At any rate, our overnight stay left an easy day through to the hostel in Affric for Monday and it started in sunshine with a steady climb alongside the spectacular waterfall of the Allt Coire Easaich into Gleann Gaorsaic. The subsequent landrover track, rather inevitably, deteriorated and the usual boggy trudge ensued but, after crossing the Allt Thuill Easaich as it thundered down from Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan, it was an easy descent to the stepping stones and roofless ruin at the north end of Loch Gaorsaic.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 5a - Me on the stepping stones below A'Ghlass-bheinn.JPG
Me crossing the stepping stones at the north end of Loch Gaorsaic
Day 5d - Chalky electing to wade the stepping stones below A'Ghlass-bheinn.JPG
Chalky electing to wade
Day 5e - Tommy by the ruin below A'Ghlass-bheinn.JPG
Tommy by the ruin at the north end of Loch Gaorsaic
After having a bite of lunch in what was effectively a sunny hay meadow by the ruin, we left our heavy bags and headed up A' Ghlas-bheinn - an easy climb but one which, thanks to some form of food poisoning, I found very draining; it took me several rests to get to the cairn! Once there, though, the views of Affric and Loch Duich made the effort worthwhile... although it was clear that heavy rain showers were, once again, beginning to blow in from the west down Glen Affric.
Day 5g - A peep into Affric from A'Ghlass-bheinn.JPG
Chalky and me looking south east to Affric and A'Chrailreag from A' Ghlas-bheinn
Day 5h - Down to Loch Duich from A'Ghlass-bheinn.JPG
Tommy and Loch Duich
The sun was still out as we descended and re-crossed the stepping stones to resume the boggy trudge to Affric - but we didn't have to walk too far before we picked up the track from the Bealach an Sgairne and, although heavy rain didn't add much to the experience, this soon became a high quality path and sped us to the hostel.
Hannah, the warden, was unchanged from our previous visit in 2014 - it was fantastic to be welcomed with a mug of hot tea - and, after four days out and with the weather stuck on heavy showers, we decided that tomorrow would be a rest day.
Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74765.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munro One Hundred and Fifty Five

Postby Munro Mary » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Hey Daddy-o,
Why is one of your photos upside down here?
Munro Mary
Munro Mary
Rambler

Munros:10   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Spade » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 pm

The upside down one I think made it to Australia :D
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Chris Henshall » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Dear Mary,
It wasn't upside down when I stuck it on the website; gremlins at work, I think.
We should head back up to nature's greatest monument between the Norwegian fjords and the Alps when you're next back from the Big Apple (or that dump called New York) and add to your pitiful total of Munros... there's (always) new horizons to be viewed.
Cheers,
Fat Dad
x
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland