walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Heaval - Barra

Heaval - Barra

Postby FloozySuzie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:06 am

Route description: Heaval, from Castlebay

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sheabhal (Barra)

Date walked: 09/09/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and a friend from uni travelled the Outer Hebrides over 9 days in the middle of September, staying in every island along the way. On our first day, after a 7 hour ferry ride from Oban, we tackled Heaval on Barra.

bar1.jpg
Heaval from the ferry.

On the walk there, we bumped into a guy who had just climbed it telling us ‘it’s a doddle’. Great! We thought. The top of it was covered in clag, but we hoped for the best.

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

bar4.jpg
Looking up at the 'doddle'.

The whole way up was pretty boggy, but especially the foot of the hill. No midges were about luckily.

bar5.jpg
Castlebay.

Soon after starting, we both realised it definitely was not going to be a doddle. We are not hill fit (or any fit for that matter!), so it proved to be a bit of a challenge.

bar6.jpg

About ¾ of the way up there is a statue, which i’m guessing is Mary and Jesus.

bar7.jpg
Last steep climb to the top.

Unfortunately the clag never went anywhere, so the apparent great views of Barra vanished.
My aunt had bought me a Balmoral hat, and sent me it, wanting me to get pictures taken with it everywhere. And so the first one was taken...

bar8.jpg

ba8.jpg
Timer.

And another one...

bar9.jpg

bar10.jpg

It was an amazing start to the holiday, which turned out to be one i will never, ever forget.
FloozySuzie

Re: Heaval - Barra

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Pity the cloud never cleared, the views at the top are something else on a clear day.

FloozySuzie wrote:On the walk there, we bumped into a guy who had just climbed it telling us ‘it’s a doddle’. Great! We thought.

Yeah, it's only really a doddle in the sense that it's small. The going is relentlessly steep, especially the last 100m, but once you reach the summit I guess you've conquered Barra! :D
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:22 am

My God, there's a path! :o There was never one when I was there! Here's my pics of it - doubt I'll be putting out a post on it now... In the sense that you walk all the Hebridean hills from sea-level, I don't suppose any of them can be classed as a doddle particularly...

Heaval fm Brevig trees.jpg
Heaval fm Brevig.jpg
Heaval Summit.jpg
Heaval Lady&Child.jpg
Heaval Lady view.jpg
Heaval @ sunset.jpg
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

Beware the walker who describes hill as a 'doddle' - it's psychologically damaging as you relax and prepare for a 'just over this bit' moment. Sounds like it was an interesting trip.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby FloozySuzie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Wow MC, your photos are amazing. Lets me see what we missed :( Never mind, it was a lot of fun. I fell in love with Barra, so it will be done again.

And yes Kev 'interesting' is a good word to describe our holiday!
FloozySuzie

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 pm

Barra is superb for cycling round for a day - you can hire bikes on the island and just cycle right round in a day and visit lots of beaches and stuff. Makes a great day out. Just don't choose a windy one!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland