walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Running the Lowthers

Running the Lowthers

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Route description: Green Lowther and Lowther Hill, Wanlockhead

Fionas included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: Green Lowther, Lowther Hill

Date walked: 08/08/2017

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 420m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to stretch my legs whilst driving up from Lincolnshire to Grangemouth. Planned to run Dufton Pike diverting off the A66, but heavy rain scuppered those plans. However, as I crossed the borders the skies cleared and by 7.00pm I was parked up at the lay by next to the playground in Wanlockhead, Scotlands highest village (apparantly).

Quick change and off I went, initially on a track and then a grassy path before reaching a wonderful tarmac road that would take me all the way to both summits. This made the run superbly enjoyable. No traffic and no need to watch foot placement. It was just a case of enjoying the sunshine, isolation and fantastic views. Really steady gradient that was good to run, but felt like a real workout. Reached the Golf Ball at the summit of Lowther Hill in about 22 minutes and from there it was straight across to Green Lowther following the "runway" about 1.5K away. Had a drink and a breather, before setting off back. All the hard work done it was case of downhill all the way apart from the slight hill back up to Lowther.

Suitably refreshed and legs stretched it was back in the car and back up the road.

ImageLowthers by paul wilson, on Flickr

Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: Running the Lowthers

Postby arjh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Great photos. And Dufton Pike is a really nice route for next time...
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland