walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great view from a small Munro.

A great view from a small Munro.

Postby Safehands1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 09/08/2017

Ascent: 915m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had 2 weeks off from work and had not done a good walk since a stress fracture of my leg from another ascent of Beinn Ime on 30th April. It had been raining all the time I was off but there was due to be a nice in Inverglus on 9th August 2017. I thought what the heck, why not test my leg out with a small Munro as I had not done one all summer. Me & my daughter got up early that morning to to set off for Sloy Power Station.
By the time we got there it was roasting hot. I had my silly hat on & shades but I didn't care. The tarmac path leading up to the fork in the road was so easy that me and EJ (my daughter) very much started to underestimate this small bad boy of a Munro. After the fork the path turned stones, then the climb really started with a steep winding path leading to an exceptionally boggy pit due to all the rain. We came across the 1st of Many, MANY false summits. The sun was beating down on us so we took a little shade in cave bit which quite cool before continuing. As we got higher we were expecting it to get cooler with a bit more wind but it just seemed to get hotter with no wind at all. Loch Sloy looked so good we just wanted to rush down and dive in. This little bad boy of a Munro threw every thing at us to protect its jewels. And the Ben Vane Truly is a Jewel. The rocks sparkled like glitter in sun, some even looked like diamonds. Our clothes looked like we had been to a glitter party. After some steep rock climbing parts our hands looked like they were covered in glitter. Towards the summit some of the rocks are pure white that it looks like it's been snowing. Absolutely gorgeous.
When we reached the summit we had our lunch and took our time to take everything in. The Cobbler, Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime, Ben Vorlich all the lochs we could see and to top everything off the day was so clear we got a great view of Ben Nevis in the distance. On our way down we had slide down an almost vertical drop a couple of meters, this was scary fun but I would not have liked to have done this if the rock was wet. All in the little Munro has everything
Attachments
IMG_0081.JPG
View of Ben Nevis in the distance
IMG_0080.JPG
A Sheep at cliffs edge
IMG_0078.JPG
View of Beinn Ime
IMG_0077.JPG
View of The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain
IMG_0075.JPG
View of Ben Lomond
IMG_0074.JPG
Yey the summit at last
IMG_0073.JPG
The many islands in Loch Lomond
IMG_0072.JPG
Loch Sloy & Sloy Dam
IMG_0071.JPG
The cool cave
IMG_0070.JPG
Steaming on ahead
IMG_0069.JPG
One of many rocky false summits
IMG_0068.JPG
EJ underestimating the task ahead
IMG_0067.JPG
Me and my silly hat
IMG_0066.JPG
Sloy Power station
Safehands1
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland