walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blazing Saddle - A Kintail Summit Camp!

Blazing Saddle - A Kintail Summit Camp!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Route description: Sgurr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgurr an Airgid

Date walked: 18/07/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1000m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New job, and working 12hr shift pattern, means time off during the week. So I headed to Morvich in Kintail for some bike n hike fun :). My plan was to summit camp on the Corbett Sgurr An Airgid, a great view point to Skye, Torridon and Kintail. But first I would cycle I route I had plotted that took in the Glenelg Ferry & Skye Bridge :)

Left Glasgow very early and headed North. As I neared Kintail the opportunity arose for some reflection photos.

The forecast was sunshine all day hitting 25deg at its peak, at times it felt hotter though! Parked in Morvich, near the graveyard, and was away on my bike at 10.30am for a 50 mile circular route. My route was Morvich>Glenelg>Ferry>Skye Bridge>Plockton>Morvich.

The cycle up and over Glenelg was a tough start but the views distracted from any pain felt :)

Five Sisters

Driven over this many times to Arnisdale but had never ventured near Glenelg and its bay. Was absolutely stunning!

The ferry takes you to the south of Skye, a 10 minute journey with the sea filled with seals. I couldn't get my camera out on time! The ferry only takes a few cars and about 25 people. I was the only Scottish person. Enjoyed a chat with some folk from Eastern Europe & the States.

Looking back to Glenelg Bay

Views to the Skye Cuillins

This part of the cycle provided solitude, quiet roads, & tremendous views. I soon reached the Skye Bridge...

It was great fun cycling over the bridge. I then stopped in Lochalsh for some ice cream :). I then made my way to Plockton.

Views to the Cuillins from the road to Plockton

Didn't hang around in Plockton and was soon back on the main road back down to Morvich, stopping at Eilean Donan Castle. It was absolutely mobbed here. I took a photo and swiftly left.

Back in Morvich I changed my gear and set off around 4pm to summit Sgurr an Airgid. It felt tough going with the weight on my back and the afternoon heat draining my energy. However the views looking back to Kintail were already sublime, offering some relief.

Nearing the bealach I met the only other person who'd be on the hill. A retired German making his way down. We chatted for some time. He had a holiday home in Dornie and had been coming to the Highlands for over 30 years. He was now making the best of whatever years he had left. A very nice man with similar voice to Werner Herzog :)

Reached the summit around 6pm and started looking for a pitching spot. Eventually went to the Western top of Sgurr na Seamraig as this provided better views and shelter from the increasing winds.

I sunbathed for a few hours before eating and waiting on the sun setting - bliss :)

Sunset arrived :)

Turned in around 11pm and slept not too bad for a change, only wakening once. Woke up at 04.15am to catch the sunrise.

Sunrise.

It was a lovely morning so stayed up and wandered around, eventually packing my gear and walking off the summit at 06.00am.

Reached the car at 07.30am. The heat intense at this time in the morning, however forecast for rain in a couple of hours. Changed and headed for Glasgow 08.30am. Was home at 13.00pm.

A really enjoyable mini trip that took in my two favourite activities. The cycle was absolutely stunning, and one which I'll do again. Was good training for my cycling week in the Mallorcan Tramuntana Mountains. Sgurr an Airgid is a great spot to summit camp. Been a while since I'd been in Kintail, such a lovely area :) 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:256   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Blazing Saddle - A Kintail Summit Camp!

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Nice sunset - but for a slight change in plan, I very nearly could have been camping beside you :silent: but instead was on Beinn Dronaig that night - had thought about driving up and ascending Sgurr an Airgid to camp before going on to Killilan the following day but decided against it as the weather didn't look like it would hold out long enough - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:61   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby trekpete » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Great looking weather for that. Sgurr an Airgid been on my list for a while and almost went for it the following Saturday. Ended up on Dun Cann on Rassay instead !
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Grahams:53   Donalds:63
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 am

Good sunny days are few and far between... It looks like everybody was wild camping that night :lol: We were a bit further north, in the Fisherfields. I was actually waiting for the sunset to take some photos but fell asleep :roll:

I must drag Kevin out to re-visit SnA, we did it in winter (knee deep snow) but never saw the views properly.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:163
Grahams:112   
Sub 2000:48   

Postby Spade » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Smashing report, fabulous pictures. I work 12 hour shifts as well they are fine but can be a consumer on good days where you might get a wee something done as well as working. Bravo on this report, inspiring!! :clap:
Spade
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Great photos of a stunning part of the Highlands. Love Sgurr an Airgid too. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:227   Corbetts:54
Grahams:16   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby Somerled87 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Nice one, lovely photographs.
Somerled87
Munro compleatist

Munros:135   Corbetts:11
Grahams:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   Islands:21

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland