walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Iona

Iona

Postby denfinella » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Route description: Iona Abbey, Dùn Ì and the north end

Date walked: 26/07/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 110m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

10.jpg
Iona - honest

Weather forecasts earlier in the week had pointed to Wednesday being a washout as a front swept in from the Atlantic. A day mooching around Tobermory had been in the pipeline, but in the end the rain arrived a little earlier than expected. It was forecast to clear the west side of Mull by late morning, meaning Iona would get a better day, though often cloudy with heavy showers and strong winds.

The rain driving all the way across to Fionnphort was incessant and torrential, making driving quite interesting. It was still raining when we boarded the ferry across the Sound of Iona, but it stopped just as we arrived, with a little blue sky appearing on the horizon. Miracles do happen, perhaps especially on Iona...

The plan was to spend most of the day here exploring the Abbey and tourist attractions along with the beaches at the north end of the island.

iona-north.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The calm after the storm:

0.jpg

The sun even came out a little as we explored the old nunnery:

1.jpg

It was threatening to rain again so we paid the entrance charge for the abbey and starting exploring the beautiful grounds and various chapels. The shower didn't amount to much this time and, with the skies clearing again, we decided to set off on our walk now. The views of the island's high point, Dun I, were enough to cheer me up after having to part with £5 (!) for a sandwich from a chiller cabinet.

2.jpg

This sheep didn't seem to mind being used as a bed by this cheeky bird:

3.jpg

There's a clear path up to Dun I, though with a lot of surface water running down it after the rain. Excellent views from the windy summit:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

We had the summit to ourselves, but passed quite a few people coming up as we were heading down, also taking advantage of the improving weather. Back to the track, and this time continuing left towards the north end of the island.

9.jpg

A grassy / sandy path continues to the beaches, which have stunning, perfectly white sand:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

We had just enough time for a flying visit to the first two beaches before another shower rolled in - time to retreat back to the abbey!

16.jpg

Fortunately there's plenty to do indoors at the abbey, and the sun came out again later in the day for some photos:

17.jpg

Back waiting for the ferry after an enjoyable few hours:

18.jpg

Not really enough time to explore the south end of the island as well this time (another day perhaps?), but we did have time for a quick wander to Tormore Pier back on "mainland" Mull...

Mull 2017
<< Previous day: Ben More
>> Afternoon: Tormore Pier
Last edited by denfinella on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Iona

Postby Andymac75 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Beautiful.

Great place.

Great photos.

Nuff said :D
Andymac75

Postby onsen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:57 am

I can feel myself relaxing looking at those lovely pics.
Very picturesque.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 pm

That did look good especially with the improvement in the weather. An area to which I really ought to return having only ever spent a few hours on the island several decades ago - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:13 am

Great pics of one of Scotlands great places. A place I find so calm and peaceful like no other whatever the weather. If that makes sense. :roll:
Sunset tripper

Postby denfinella » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Andymac75 wrote:Beautiful. Great place. Great photos. Nuff said :D

onsen wrote:I can feel myself relaxing looking at those lovely pics.
Very picturesque.

Thanks Andy, Onsen!

rockhopper wrote:That did look good especially with the improvement in the weather. An area to which I really ought to return having only ever spent a few hours on the island several decades ago - cheers :)

I think spending too little time on Iona is the mistake most people make - ourselves included! Will have to go back again next time we're on Mull.

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pics of one of Scotlands great places. A place I find so calm and peaceful like no other whatever the weather. If that makes sense. :roll:

Makes perfect sense :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland