walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Chaisteil and cooling off (for heilan coos and us)

Beinn a' Chaisteil and cooling off (for heilan coos and us)

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaisteil, via Strath Vaich

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Strath Vaich)

Date walked: 20/06/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked at the start of the hydro road off the A835 just east of the Black Bridge. I have never used a bike to get access to a hill but if I ever did this one would be a good candidate with its 3km of tarmac running north towards Loch Vaich. When we started off it was dull with an overcast sky but that was to change for the better as the day went on.

Beinn a' Chaisteil away in distance
IMG_3255-large.JPG

When the road crossed the Abhainn Srath a' Bhathaich we turned right through a gate on to a rougher track which led along the edge of a plantation to a metal bridge and a junction where we kept left, staying on the main track. We discussed whether to reverse the WH route as Black Panther had done, but decided we would keep to the low route for the approach and return by the high route.

Track on east side of Loch Vaich
IMG_3260-large.JPG

The point to leave the track is about level with two derelict cottages immediately after it crosses the Allt Lub a' Chlaiginn, climbing up the left side of the burn. At one point the path skirts a steep drop into the ravine below before moving away from the burn over heather to pick up an old stalker's path which zigzags up the shoulder of the hill. A prominent cairn comes into view making you briefly wonder of you've reached the top already. But you haven't and there's still a fair way to go. :wink:

IMG_3269-largec.JPG

The cairn with Loch Vaich behind
IMG_3280-large.JPG

The path fizzles out after the cairn but it's easy walking over stony ground towards the summit wind shelter, with views improving all the way.

Ben Wyvis appearing in the gap between Beinn a' Chaisteil and Meall a' Ghrianan
IMG_3282-large.JPG

Summit wind shelter
IMG_3293-large.JPG

Am Faochagach with Beinn Dearg and Cona 'Mheall on right
IMG_3285-large.JPG

Zoomed to Seana Bhraigh
IMG_3297-largec.JPG

Suilven peeking through
IMG_3289-largec.JPG

Ben Loyal and Ben Klibreck
IMG_3291-largec.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Klibreck
IMG_3290-largec.JPG

Glimpse of the Moray Firth and Cromarty Sutors
IMG_3287-largec.JPG

Long sprawl of Ben Wyvis
IMG_3288-largec.JPG

Evelyn said she wasn't sure about returning by the WH route along the south ridge because it meant descending 140m before reclimbing almost as far to go over Meall a' Ghrianan. I was keen to do it so she agreed to start the descent in that direction to "have a closer look" before we decided.

Start of descent
IMG_3299-large.JPG

South ridge
IMG_3300-large.JPG

Having a closer look didn't have the desired effect so we turned back towards the ascent route, back to the marker cairn and down the stalker's path towards the abandoned cottages.

IMG_3301-large.JPG

Down the Allt Lub a' Chlaiginn
IMG_3304-large.JPG

Reflections in Loch Vaich
IMG_3303-largec.JPG

Once we reached the track we agreed to have a break to stick our feet in the burn before the start of the long trek back to the car. Sitting on a rock with feet chilling in the cold water was wonderful and I'm convinced it helps feet to cope with prolonged pounding on a warm day. Mine certainly felt more comfortable after their dook. :thumbup:

Allt Lub a' Chlaiginn up close and personal
IMG_3306-large.JPG

Derelict cottages and their occupants at Lubachlaggan
IMG_3310-large.JPG

Looking back to cottages
IMG_3312-largec.JPG

About the point where the path from Meall a' Ghrianan joins the track we were greeted with the picture postcard scene of these beauties cooling their hooves in the river - just like we had done further up the glen.

Heilan coos cooling off
IMG_3319-large.JPG

IMG_3320-large.JPG

They seemed as interested in us as we were in them
IMG_3321-large.JPG

IMG_3324-large.JPG

It's a lovely but little visited glen and in my opinion the views from the top make it well worth the walk to reach its Corbett. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Beinn a' Chaisteil and cooling off (for heilan coos and

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Haven't got round to looking at possible routes for some of the corbetts up here but this does look a good walk. :thumbup: Quite remote in parts too. Looks like a bike could be used for the earlier sections albeit that may limit the option of the full loop in the second part - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 pm

rockhopper wrote:Haven't got round to looking at possible routes for some of the corbetts up here but this does look a good walk. :thumbup: Quite remote in parts too. Looks like a bike could be used for the earlier sections albeit that may limit the option of the full loop in the second part - cheers :)

You could still use a bike to end of tarmac section and leave it at the point where the high route rejoins the track. 8)
dogplodder

Postby simon-b » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 pm

That looks a nice Corbett, not one I've done yet but has been on my radar. I see you've done Carn Chuinneag too, not so far away although the regular start points are quite a distance from each other. I did get some great views from that one recently. It's good to see you got the views from this one. They look good.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:58 pm

simon-b wrote:That looks a nice Corbett, not one I've done yet but has been on my radar. I see you've done Carn Chuinneag too, not so far away although the regular start points are quite a distance from each other. I did get some great views from that one recently. It's good to see you got the views from this one. They look good.

These north eastern hills aren't as popular as those further west but they give great views. We could see Ben Hope and the Cairngorms from Carn Chuinneag. :D
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland