walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Millyea and Milldown

Meikle Millyea and Milldown

Postby Jaywizz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 20/07/2017

Distance: 14.88 km

Ascent: 773m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a good night at the Clachan Inn, Dalry, it's a short drive to the parking spot near Forest Lodge. The Prof Hans Heiberg track is well signposted, and then it's simply a case of walking almost in a straight line to the stile at the edge of the forest then up the beaten path on to Meikle Lump. One short scrambly section on the first steep slope, probably not even enough to register for those with longer legs. I have shorter legs - and scratched a fingernail. As the latter have only twice ever been in a 'nail salon' this was no hardship - much happier to be on a hill.
Interesting little path rising through small rocky outcrops to the trig point and large cairn. I sat down happily to have a drink and snack - then remembered. Yes, looking over my shoulder, the true summit was still some 200m to the SW. A short easy walk to that then retraced my steps to the trig point and headed for the second summit of the day. Easy walking by the wall, even the col was not too boggy.
After a brief stop on the summit, again retraced my steps to the col then slightly higher before cutting across the slope to rejoin my ascent line.
WH Meikle Millyea.jpg
Looking north towards Corserine - for another day

A most enjoyable walk - never met a soul, one mountain goat on the hill, a family of jays near the stile and one hare in a felled area of forest.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland