walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe via the hydro track

Beinn Bhuidhe via the hydro track

Postby smalltounboy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 20/08/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd seen this route on another posting and decided to give it a go rather than cycle up the the glen.
IMG_4526.jpg
Glen Fyne

There are two hydro tracks that both lead to a water intake further up the hillside, the newer more westerly track has an easier gradient, however within a few kilometres I found that I couldn't cycle anymore and resorted to pushing my bike the rest of the way.
IMG_4528-001.JPG
Hydro collection inlet dam

The original easterly track is very steep from the outset but follows a shorter route, I used this track on my decent but even found it too steep to safely cycle down.
IMG_4529-001.JPG
Rough

Cycling beyond the water intake dam is difficult due to the roughness and steep gradient of the track, ideally leave your bike at the intake and continue on foot for a couple of Kilometres before joining the Beinn Bhuidhe path which is marked with a cairn
IMG_4532.JPG
Steep

In summery I'd recommend this route if you were doing the full route on foot as the additional energy you use up in pushing your bike isn't recouped on your decent.

Beinn-Bhuidhe-via-hydro-track-20-Aug-2017.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe via the hydro track

Postby smalltounboy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm

smalltounboy wrote:I'd seen this route on another posting and decided to give it a go rather than cycle up the the glen.
IMG_4526.jpg

There are two hydro tracks that both lead to a water intake further up the hillside, the newer more westerly track has an easier gradient, however within a few kilometres I found that I couldn't cycle anymore and resorted to pushing my bike the rest of the way.
IMG_4528-001.JPG

The original easterly track is very steep from the outset but follows a shorter route, I used this track on my decent but even found it too steep to safely cycle down.
IMG_4529-001.JPG

Cycling beyond the water intake dam is difficult due to the roughness and steep gradient of the track, ideally leave your bike at the intake and continue on foot for a couple of Kilometres before joining the Beinn Bhuidhe path which is marked with a cairn
IMG_4532.JPG

In summery I'd recommend this route if you were doing the full route on foot as the additional energy you use up in pushing your bike isn't recouped on your decent.

Beinn-Bhuidhe-via-hydro-track-20-Aug-2017.gpx
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland