walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A little walk up Meikle Bin

A little walk up Meikle Bin

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 21/08/2017

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 486m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wee quickie for Monday afternoon. Left work late morning and drove up Fintry way - I know this part of the country much less than many places further north despite it being only a few miles from home. Parked at the Todholes Car Park and set off along the track, following the standard WH route. Lots of busy flowers. Lots of dogs - we passed at least 3 folk walking a pack of up to 8 dogs - maybe the good folks from around here are all too busy to walk their own pooches and professional dog-walkers have a field day. The dogs seemed to be enjoying it anyway.

ImageP1170041 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170043 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170044 by Al, on Flickr

The route is signposted, although I was dismayed to find most of the signs have racist graffito - this extends to the summit trig which has a christian cross cut into it and a muslim crescent moon above. Really, people, leave your bigotry and hatred behind when you step into Nature. The trees give way to a harvested area that leads onto the hillside proper. It's a nice steep grassy pull from here to the summit. Hazy for views - the Lawers hills visible to the north, nearer at hand Earls Seat looked fine across the valley. Did think about including Little Meikle but it seemed too much effort for little return. It did make me investigate the meaning of "meikle" however - I'd thought that "meikle" meant little (as in "mony a meikle/mickle maks a muckle" and therefore it seemed that "little meikle" would mean "little little" but I find that meikle is a form of "muckle" ie big - "Meikle Bin(g) = Big Heap" I stand corrected.

ImageP1170047 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170048 by Al, on Flickr

Instead of that extra hill we spotted mushrooms on the walk back, decided we'd never be brave enough to try and work out which are safe to eat and had a pint at the nearby Fintry Inn instead.

ImageP1170049 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170050 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170051 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170052 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170053 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: A little walk up Meikle Bin

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 pm

It's a nice area for a wander and handy for the central belt. :thumbup:
Come to think of it though, haven't been here for a few years - last time was a mountain biking trip when we stopped short of cycling up to the top as the weather closed in - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland