walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nemesis two down(or not?)

Nemesis two down(or not?)

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Route description: The Old Man of Stoer and the point

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 12/05/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The original plan for this day was doing a round on Quinag. But, seeing that my aunt did already struggle a lot on easier routes on Mull or Stac Polly, I decided against leading her to Quinag. Lack of training was one major issue, the other one that she had the wrong glasses with her, multi-focal ones, which have an area for reading at the lower end, meaning, if you are searching for safe places to put your feet by looking down, you will see next to nothing.

As an easier alternative, I took the ladies to the Stoer Lighthouse, to tackle the "old man" round. For me that was a disappointment, since i wanted to climb Spidean Coinich for quite a long time, always bailing out for one reason or the other.

Starting point view south

The lighthouse itself.

Finding footholds with the wrong glasses

The old man in the distance

And close up in it's full majesty

The ladies obviously massively impressed by the phallic qualities of the old man( they looked just the same when I showed them the Cerne Abbas Giant, two years prior) Maybe they were just impressed by nature's sculpting qualities.

Look northward near Stoer point

After reclimbing the majestic height of Sithean Mor, we were very lucky because a beautiful hazy panorama opend up.

Close up in high contrast
All in colour

The lighthouse on the way back.

After finishing this little walk with about 8 km around noon, I took the ladies back to Lochinver, where they did a little river walk.

After finishing that, they had a comfortable sit down, to watch a game of football on the outdoor TV set at the Highland Pottery.

With myself it was another case, I decided to be still fit enought to tackle Spidean Coinich, and maybe continue to the Bealach, then returning around the Loch.
So I drove very motivated to the starting point, had a little talk with a ranger from the John Muir Trust, who ran after me, just to give me a little leaflet which contained no really usable information at all:)

Approaching the stone slabs. Back in 2001 when staying at Achmelvich Youth Hostel, I overheard a conversation between two walkers. One young man told the other: Going up there is just like ascending a staircase. Man, I don't know which country you came from, but I have never seen such a badly built, but at the same time beautiful staircase like that:)

Walking higher up, the views over to Loch Assynt opened up.

The Nemesis, closer up

View North from the ridge. Does anybody know what the structures on then right edge of the image are? I couldn't find them on a map

Spidean Coinich and it's neighbours.

Looking down the "staircase" back to my car

From the high point just before the little dip, the final ascent.

Two people just barely visible near the top.

View northward to Sail Gharbh

At this point I was having a problem. Looking on the time it seemed to get really late, a lot later than I had thought.
The wind which accompanied me all the way up the ridge had died down after climbing down to the foot of the final ascent. I was feeling like sitting in a baking oven. I had promised the ladies to be back at a given time,
to me it seemed impossible to get to the summit and down again in time.
So I sat down, comtemplating about the unfairness of the world in general, against me in special, and all that damned mountains I still have got to climb and never will, because always something tends to get in the way. I sweared to myself while enjoying the view, and thought about throwing the towel now.
I tried to raise the ladies on the phone to communicate an extension, to no avail, nobody was answering.

After that phone call I realized what really stupid thickhead I had been, I was looking at my mobile to see the time of day and (again) forgot that it is always showing two times: Local time, and time of the home net. Which is in Germany and therefore one hour later than local time. So it had not taken me all that long to get here. ( even if it was surely a lot longer than other walkers...)

Continuing I met a little lochan and fished some garbage out of it.

Higher up, now able to see nearly all of Loch Assynt.

View looking down the ridge line

View about Loch Assynt to Lochinver( getting hazy)

Two views along the ridge line, showing what would have been my way, going on.

Finally, myself on top, not looking to happy. I don't know why, I was feeling quite happy, maybe concentrating not to drop my camera.
At the same time I decided to call it a day here. The decision was good, when I returned the same way I came, at the point where the made path splits up, I met the people which had been walking in front of me. I am not sure that I would haven been very good in managing the terrain ahead. I would have done so, if I had been able to start in the morning, but it was quite late.

Black and white shots of the ridges

Farewell shot near the car, the weather was clearly turning( and the next day it was very foggy and raining:...)

I finally had done another one of the hills I lounged to climb for such a long time.
Next holiday in the area is booked for next year, I already know which hills will be "mine" then :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Re: Nemesis two down(or not?)

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Beautiful part of the world.

At least you now have the rest of Quinag to look forward to.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Nemesis two down(or not?)

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Yep and some others too. But next time... I will have my wife and two dogs in tow. And one of the dogs is 15 now, so who knows how far we can walk next year.....
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland