walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav & Glas Bheinn Mhor reversed.

Ben Starav & Glas Bheinn Mhor reversed.

Postby teaandpies » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 20/08/2017

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1457m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a tough day out for me, I really struggled. It was a far more difficult walk than I believed it would be. I had read a lot of reports where others had said this but I still thought I'd manage fine or at least better than I did.

We were aiming for the 3 Munros but it was clear early on I'd be lucky to get any off the hills done!

Todays hills

The detour around the house via the fence was boggy as hell.

Bog

We ended up making a direct route through long marshy grassland and this early on my boots were already soaking, what a start!

If that wasn't bed enough we'd missed bridge and were stuck on the wrong side of the burn so effectively we were walking the route the wrong way round. We passed a memorial under a tree, anybody know what that's all about?

The path was in pretty poor condition and there's a few sketchy bits where you have to hang on for dear life because of the lengthy drops down to the raging waters below but these awkward bits were soon left behind and we were now on open hillside.

Glas Bheinn Mhor

This part of the walk was absolutely sodden wet making the going on a gentle gradient a lot harder. I was looking forward to firmer ground.

We stopped for breakfast but I struggled to eat my sausage roll and ended up allowing it to break in pieces and fall to the ground. I couldn't stomach food just now.

The ground did become firmer however it was still effectively a stream with water running down the path, this part of the walk was taking ages. I felt like I was getting nowhere and the hill felt like they were getting bigger.

Pieplough seemed totally unaffected leading the charge up the Glen.

Pieplough

Ben Starav up yonder

Glas Bheinn Mhor

Looking to Ben Starav

Beinn nan Aighenan

Ben Starav

Lets slog it out

Glen Etive

On Stob Coire Dheirg

The final approach to the summit

Loch Etive

A very busy summit

Glas Bheinn Mhor

Northwest Ridge

Looking back up to Ben Starav

Long and rough walk out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

teaandpies
Munro compleatist

Munros:94   Corbetts:17
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland