walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Scaddle Corbetts and bits

Glen Scaddle Corbetts and bits

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na h-Uamha, Càrn na Nathrach, Sgùrr Dhomhnuill

Fionas included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorainn

Date walked: 19/04/2008

Time taken: 10.3 hours

Distance: 37.5 km

Ascent: 2145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glen Scaddle Corbetts and other bits 19/04/2008

Bike / 20.5km 215m 3h On foot / 17km 1930m 7h30m

I make the final Ardgour ferry of the day, then park and bed down @ Scaddle bay to await daylight. This is my second bike trip so interesting to see how this one fares. Morning - weather dry but cool, forecast good for today, no rain. I wash and eat, gear up an go. It`s a 10km cycle up Glen Scaddle`s track, with river, forest, then river again for company to reach the bothy of Tighnacomaire. The long ridges of these hills all run W to E, so looping them together is awkward. The glen widens here as three burns join to become a river. Stash the bike eat and drink, then W. Follow path, over burn for the long 4km slopes of Carn na Nathrach @786m. My trio of Corbbets lie as a rough triangle. This is Rh one. The climb easy enough, over grass, crags and heather to the top. There`s yesterdays hills Tarsuinn and Ghiubhsachain - while Sgurr Craobh a` Chaorainn recalls awful conditions in a icy winter whiteout. Ha. Came to do three - lucky to get one.
Drop S to a wee lochan - climb the Stron nan Cabar ridge to 803m then down to Glas bhealach for a climb to the highest peak and trig point of Sgurr Domhunuill @ 888m Superb viewpoint over hills and lochs. The day still warm, I drink and eat then another down to 682m, over a wee top further to Bealach mam a Bhearna then up to at last, the craggy top of Sgurr A` Chaorainn @ 761m. Rest. When doing my Munros I always tried to do a round of the hills concerned. Like while staying at Lagangarbh a start on the Buachaille`s Curved ridge went on to Stob na Broige, crossed the Lairig Gartain for Stob Dubh to down Beag`s face of Stob nan Cubar. Thus when SMC “found” seven new Munros I`d already done them. Being there is only a metre in height between these two, always better to count them both I`ve learned. Down then to a broad ridge, lochan and a final climb to Beinn na h-Uamha @762m. my last. Great views as before just different angles. The massive of Garbh Bheinn and a shinning Lochan na Beinne below me. So drop NE over Meall nan Ruadhiag for the Scaddle glen, ford the river for my bike and the return route.

Seen enroute, no one on the hills, two in the fields, plenty deer birds and herons fishing the river and mudflats in the bay.
A good day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland