walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Day, Another Munro

Another Day, Another Munro

Postby GeorgiePorgie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 13/07/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk – Meall a Bhuiridh (Munro), Glencoe - 13th July 2017

After yesterday’s memorable day in glorious weather, today’s walking excursion would be hard pressed to supersede it. After a great night’s sleep (well for me it was. I believe my snoring may have not given my roommates such a solid sleep!) in the Kingshouse bunkhouse, we awoke to a dry but overcast day. The weather forecast predicted a dry day up until early afternoon then lots of rain appearing from the west, a total contrast from yesterday’s cracking day.
We all unanimously decided to walk two of the Black Mount Munros, they being Meall a Bhuiridh and hopefully Creise. These two can be clearly seen from the bunkhouse and also only a stone’s throw to the Glencoe Mountain Ski Resort (the White Corries) although no snow at this time of the year.
After a good walkers’ breakfast, we ventured outside to see the friendly local stag which has a reputation for grazing around the Kingshouse waiting for the busloads of tourists which stop here each day during the summer months. This was a fine young specimen which hopefully would protect his hind harem later on in the autumn months. He showed no signs of being frightened of all of us even allowing us to stroke the felt on his young antlers.
DSCF0054.JPG
Our friendly stag at the Kingshouse

Our friendly stag outside the Kingshouse

DSCF0057.JPG
Monarch of the Glen

After spending some time with our friendly stag, we all piled into my daughter’s car for the short drive to the start. Arriving at the almost deserted car park, we did notice that the lower chair lift was operating. Shall we make it easy on ourselves by jumping on-board and saving us the hard work of climbing the steep initial slope? No of course not! We can’t claim these Munros by cheating! (Although it did cross my mind after aching from yesterday’s exertions). Before setting off, we took the time to pay a visit to the ‘metal man’ sculpture made from old bicycle wheel rims, ducting and also other metallic junk.
DSCF0058.JPG
The 'Metal Man'

Setting off now, we walked up to the top of the car park, heading around the ski centre buildings then noticed the mountain bike track curving its way down from the higher slopes and warnings to all walkers to stay off the race track as the mountain bikers race down this course at a great speed. Walkers would definitely come off worse if there was a collision between cyclist and the human body.
The path very soon becomes steep as it makes its way uphill following the now-moving ski chair lift to the upper ski runs. Oh, so easy to jump on this moving apparatus which would have saved us walking up the very steep and eroded path. Still, that would have been cheating so we counted down the chairlift pylons the higher up we went. One consolation though was the great views now opening out down to the start point and particularly across Rannoch Moor.

DSCF0059.JPG
View looking back to the ski centre car park on the first steep climb

DSCF0062.JPG
View across to Stob a' Glais Coire and Creise on the ascent

DSCF0060.JPG
View across to BEM

After many opportunities to stop and admire the views, we eventually reached the upper ski area which now thankfully began to level out. It was here that the GPS readings started going haywire as it kept saying that the route went in a SE direction across an area of boggy ground. Maybe I had downloaded the co-ordinates incorrectly. Ignoring this, we continued following the well defined path which I sensed was taking us in a NE direction! We could see where the correct route to the summit was but how to get there was test of our navigational skills. The path took us to a viewpoint at spot height 748m and from here we attempted to see if there were any paths leading to the north ridge. In hindsight, perhaps some homework would of been very useful before we tackled today’s walk and looking now at the user reports on the WH site, most reports head right at the middle ski building, crossing brief boggy ground to pick a route up the steep north ridge to the summit. Our diverted route did however give us one reward - great views across to the ‘Bookle’ ridge.
Retracing our steps back to the ski centre buildings, we ended up walking up a good track which took us to an area where sledging is carried out in the winter months, then following the track as it twisted its way up to some upper buildings under the steep slope of Meall a Bhuiridh. We then proceeded to walk up the very stony and steep ground following another chairlift, this one though not operating. This was a long slog on a faint path but we eventually reached the summit ridge by a radio mast. All that was left to do was to walk the short distance to the summit cairn.
Good views across to Clach Leathad and the 2nd Munro on this walk, Creise were observed from the summit and we took a well deserved break here to marvel in the view and to have some lunch.
DSCF0073.JPG
On the summit of MaB

DSCF0065.JPG
The wilds of Rannoch Moor from the summit

It was now that the dark clouds began to roll in from the west; the weather forecast had been spot on. From this changing situation we decided to not venture across to Creise, the 2nd Munro and instead return the same way back to the ski car park. Staying one step ahead of the dark rain clouds we were fortunate to return the same way without getting wet. One brief stop at the middle ski buildings, we were fortunate to see a lone stag sheltering (or hiding) under the steep cliffs.
DSCF0079.JPG
Lone stag

The last descent to the bottom car park was long and difficult for me, the younger members of my family taking this in their stride! The path is much eroded and care is required descending the loose and rocky terrain. This is one path that could do with being improved as it is only going to get worse by the many walkers this route gets.
DSCF0080.JPG
Nice view of BEM on our descent

Despite my slowness, I was still able to make it back to the car just as the heavy rain began to take hold. Later on when we returned to the Kingshouse bunkhouse, the rain came on quite heavy making our decision to curtail our day’s walk a good one.
A good day’s walking but a bit disappointed we didn’t get the second Munro Creise in. Never mind, a return visit here at some time in the future, on a better day and not feeling stiff and sore from yesterday’s exertions would sort that out. On a last note, personally I’m not a great fan of these ski resorts as in my opinion they severely scar the wild landscape with their tracks and infrastructure. In fact, the day we were there, a mechanical digger was constructing another route up to the upper slopes. Typically, the best part of this walk would have been the walk across the bealach to Creise where there is no evidence of ski development. Long may it continue.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GeorgiePorgie
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland