walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The awesome Meikle Bin

The awesome Meikle Bin

Postby cjcm1980 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 27/08/2017

Time taken: 2.35 hours

Distance: 10.89 km

Ascent: 466m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great walk on a Sunday morning with the dog although the walk through the forest track you only catch a glimpse of the mountain a few times. Once on the mountain the climb to the summit is steep but the views surrounding the while climbimbing the slope makes a good excuse to stop and have a look around. Once at the summit today the low clouds came in and covered us and visibility was extremely low but it was still an awesome walk and I would recommend it anyone thinking of doing it.
cjcm1980
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The awesome Meikle Bin

Postby Sgurr » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm

When I did it, a pensioner had just disappeared in the area
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/police-move-search-for-missing-pensioner-1335761
the posters were still up then. I don't believe he has ever been found. I was doing Meikle Bin by myself, as husband had done it, but at the same age as the guy who disappeared (even though not, as far as I know, having a wandering mind) it made me think that solo walking might not be the best. Still did it up to last year though.

Agree that it is an excellent walk.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Re: The awesome Meikle Bin

Postby Somerled87 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:22 am

I was up there yesterday too, with my wee boy, from 4-8pm. Weather held off for us, although the views of the Argyle and Breadalbane hills had gone by the time we got to the top. Quite a long walk in for short legs, but the allure of airplane wreckage at the top was too good to pass up!

Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   Corbetts:17
Grahams:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland